Are you terrified to monetize your blog?
Unless you want to be an amateur blogger for your entire online career you need to get comfortable with the concept of monetizing your blog. This process feels uncomfortable to most bloggers. Going from play to pay feels intimidating. So scary that you may give in to the fear of selling stuff and avoid monetizing all together.
Not a good move.
If you are blogging you may as well monetize the process for a few reasons:
- earn passive and active income to boost your savings
- increase your cash flow for your dream vacation, home or car
- boost your credibility
You may be forgetting the last bullet point; pro bloggers generally yield more clout and gain more trust than amateur bloggers.
You are likely impressed by bloggers who:
- write and self-publish eBooks
- create online courses
- render useful premium services like blog consulting and freelance writing
because opening these monetizing streams proves these bloggers know their stuff.
The Fear of Selling
A shocking number of bloggers fear selling products or offering services.
Maybe you fear annoying your readers who like your “freemium” model. Or perhaps you feel awkward monetizing your blog because you were never good at making money.
In any case, you can clear the fear of selling stuff through your blog by embracing this idea:
All fears related to selling have nothing to do with the value of your offering and everything to do with your readers and their fears concerning money.
If someone has a problem with you monetizing your blog they fear spending money. The cling to some illusory, untrue limiting belief about money. Their false belief has nothing to do with the valuable help you offer through your products and services.
Remember; it is only money. You are not asking someone to hand over their first born for your course. Or to amputate an arm or leg for your consulting fee. You are just asking for a medium of exchange called “money”. No big deal.
Centuries ago the medium of exchange would have been seashells. Or sheep. Both of which were mediums of exchange.
In this day and age the dominant medium of exchange is money. Thank goodness.
But many bloggers fear receiving money for their product or services rendered because they give in to the fears of their readers. They want to monetize their blogs but fear that if they sell stuff that some of their readers will stop following their blogs.
Understand that if someone has a money problem, *they* have a money problem. Their fears, limiting beliefs and resistance to spending money may manifest as criticism tossed your way but has nothing to do with the clarity, belief and value you see in your products and services.
Practical Ideas to Explore
- If you offer help via free blog posts, offer premium help via products and services; you deserve to receive money for your help just like anybody who runs a business or works a job
- money is a medium of exchange; nothing more
- it’s only money….it’s just money….no big deal
- if you fear reader backlash after monetizing your blog don’t let your reader fears about money – which have everything to do with them – get into your head
- your fear of selling stuff is simply the fear of being criticized by either broke, cheap or thrifty people; do you really think you can mold your dream life by cowering to *their* fears?
Monetize your blog. Today. Your products will be valuable. Your eBooks will be helpful.
One of the most selfish decisions I ever made was to not monetize my blog for years. I was afraid my readers would criticize me for monetizing my blog but later realized that I allowed their limiting beliefs to rule my blogging career, which was nuts.
I soon learned that if you are offering help you may as well receive a means of exchange called “money” for some of that help.
How about you?
Do you fear monetizing your blog?