John Chow is one of the most popular bloggers in the blogging world. Love him or hate him, you can’t deny the man’s ability to generate buzz and make money from his blog.
One aspect of the ‘John Chow’ phenomenon which has confused scientists for the last year is the high percentage of new bloggers copying everything to do with his blog. Instead of just listening to John’s advice about blogging, many new bloggers are simply copying every aspect of his blog. A case of monkey see monkey do. Perhaps if the Pro Blogger theme was released we would see something similar happen with Darren Rowse.
I don’t believe this bothers Mr Chow in any shape or form, afterall, imitation is the best form of flattery! The irony is if more of these copycats listened to the advice he has given in his posts instead of just mimicking him they would be able to stand out from the crowd a bit better.
So to help out those who want to be a ‘John Chow’, I’ve prepared the ‘John Chow DIY Kit’ – everything you need to be a John Chow!!!!
Everything you need to be a ‘John Chow’
By following the steps below, you too can have a John Chow blog in under 20 minutes!
- WordPress – First thing you need to do is download an up to date version of wordpress. This will allow you to not only use the same theme as John, but also apply the same hacks and plugins 🙂
- Misty Look Theme – All self respected John Chow blogger’s use the Misty Look theme. You can download it from this page.
- Sports Car in the theme header – If you can’t afford to buy a sports car or even hire one, why not just search for a top of the range ferrari or porsche on Google Images.
- Change the title of your page to ‘Make Money Online’ – It doesn’t matter if you blog about your local basketball team or your favourite brand of chicken soup, if you want to have a ‘John Chow’ blog you need to try and target the search term ‘Make Money Online’. Don’t concern yourself with the fact that there are thousands of other targeting this term as well.
- Install the same plugins – The next step is to install the same plugins that John has on his blog. The comment plugins are certainly important but the ‘Buy me a beer‘ plugin is essential. Most blog readers are tripping over each over to give money away to bloggers with 30 posts, you need to make sure reader’s have the opportunity to thank you for all your hard work!
That’s it folks. You should now have a ‘John Chow‘ lookalike site.
If you want to have a super duper ‘John Chow’ blog you may also want to consider :
- Posting pictures of your dinner on your blog.
- Linking to John Chow using the term ‘Make Money Online’ so that you are included in batch 315.
- Repeating what John has already said in your posts a day or so after John has posted about it.
If you are looking for some examples for inspiration check out Net Business Blog’s John Chow lookalike winners JakelDaily, BobBusKirk and ShaunCarter. You should also check out John Cow, the biggest making mooooney expert of them all!! 🙂
I’m sure everybody realises that this light hearted post was just a bit of fun. However I hope I have convinced a few people that they should not be simply be duplicating what their favourite bloggers are doing. There is only one Darren Rowse, there is only one Jeremy Schoemaker and there is only one John Chow. These guys are the authorities in their field for a reason, not only because of hard work but because they have went out of their ways to solve problems and help readers in ways that other people had not. This applies to blogs from all genres, not just blogging related blogs ie. don’t just mimic the top guys in your field. Something to bear in mind for the future. Good Luck