Did you know that 70% of buyers read 4 or more articles before buying from a website?
Content marketing is extremely crucial to build a profitable blog in 2017.
If you are ignoring your content, you are ignoring your sales. It’s as simple as that.
Did you know that marketers are spending $44 billion on content marketing? It gives you the best ROI.
In this detailed article, we’ll discuss about few foolproof content marketing strategies you can use to grow your website sales and traffic in 2017 and beyond.
#1. Short Content is Dead
Gone are the days when you can get more traffic from Google by posting daily on your blogs.
Google is rewarding the sites with long form of content and punishing those sites with thin and mediocre content.
You don’t need to publish every single day. But make sure to publish only when your content is extremely useful for your audience. Be consistent with your posting schedule.
Above all, consider publishing long form of articles (with 2000 to 3000 words). Yes, that sounds insane but it works like a charm.
But there’s a problem. How do you create long form of content consistently?
If you don’t have any budget for content marketing, here are few quick tips to create engaging content.
- Research is the key. Do keyword research for your content first. Find long tail keywords that your audience are looking for.
- Before you even start writing, select the right topic that interests your audience. Use tools like Buzzsumo to find popular topics in your industry.
- Search for long-tail keywords to keep killer title. 80% of the people read headlines first. So, whether your rest of the article is read by the readers or not depends on it.
- Make sure to use your primary keywords while writing.
- In the main body content, use headlines. Never write lengthy paragraphs. They are dead. A paragraph should be of 3 to 4 lines that’s it not more than that. In every headline, address questions like what it is all about? Why it is important? How to do it? etc.
#2. Use long tail keywords
In order to grow your Google traffic, use long tail keywords in your post title. It brings more visitors to your site. Just because you use long tail keywords doesn’t mean it lists you post in first search results. Experts say, 60% of the organic clicks come from top 3 search results. Getting top 3 search results is NOT hard if you use long tail keywords
Using long tail keywords can really pump up your content marketing, website sales and traffic.
How to frame long-tail keywords that works?
Spend quality time in researching keywords with low competition. Long tail keywords are usually four word phrases or more. The longer it is, easier to rank.
- Take the short keyword of your niche. Saying “Marketing”. Now, search in Google Keyword Planner and traverse to keyword ideas. It will display few searches, again take up one and again search repeatedly till you get 4 word phrases.
- Use Soovle tool to get long-tail keywords for your niche blog.
- Not satisfied? There is yet another powerful tool that gives you lot many keyword suggestions. It is If you can afford money, then use scrapebox tool. It gives fantastic results for your niche blog.
- Looking for free and powerful tool for keyword research? Then give a try to keyword tool.
#3. Know your audience to build an online brand
If you don’t know about your target audience well, you are mostly like to fail in content marketing. Building a brand is the key to online success.
Consider branding as your image as a whole.
This encompasses many things like your website, logo, images, content, tone of voice and more.
But you need to create and design branding materials with your audience and target customer in mind for them to be effective. For example, the common misconception is that these branding assets have to be expensive.
What’s more important is they capture the attention of the right people: your target audience. Feel free to use a cost-effective logo maker or generator or build your website with a theme. The price tag doesn’t matter. What matters is focusing on the message your branding is sending to potential customers.
Also focus on your writing style. Read great books. Read Copyblogger articles. Develop a unique writing tone. It could be formal or funny or engaging or professional or anything.
So, you need to understand your ideal reader. By doing so, you can easily sell any product in future. So you need to observe this right from the day you started blogging.
How you can do this?
- Observe your competitor sites. How? Go to SEMrush and type your niche keyword. It will display your competitor site URLs.
- Now, you need to analyze each of your competitor’s site urls. How? Go to Openlinkprofiler, and give one site url in analyze backlinks box. You can check how many backlinks they use in their blog.
- Once you analyze this, you must know where they got these links. You can check this also from above link.
- Now, the trick is how you do link building from those links? Find broken links. You can find it using broken link checker tools. There are lot many available you can use any. Specify url in the tool and it displays the list of dead links. Once you find it, contact the site owner and email about this. If they could include your link, it fetches readers to your site. It is hard but if you contact 10 site owners, at least 3 will favour you. Think in that way and give a try.
#4. Revive your old blog posts
The content in your blog should be refreshing and valuable every time.
It doesn’t which industry you are in, if you are not regularly updating your posts with fresh content, chances that you may lose audience. The traffic you get either through referrals or search engine. When visitors lands on one of your old blog posts and find outdated information, what happens? You will lose a valuable subscriber or visitor.
By keeping your old blog posts updates, you can turn your reader to visitor and then to subscriber. Google always update its algorithm. So, there are good chances that your site might get penalised.
So, what type of changes you can make?
- Check for grammatical mistakes first. It is needed because when we first write content and perform proofreading, it looks appealing to our eyes. Now, read the same old blog post after some months or year, you will find silly grammatical mistakes and you yourself finds outdated.
- Use relevant images and rename it for search engine friendly.
- While editing your blog posts, link to your new posts. This is one good way to increase internal linking in your blog.
- Find out what keywords are really helping for the post to rank high. How? Use SEMrush.
- Check whether you filled meta description for your old blog posts. If not, do it now.
- Every now and then moderate comments on your blog posts.
That being said, how to choose the posts that needs an update?
- Identify the posts that performed well by using blog analytics. Observe number of views for the specific post.
- Check the number of shares in social media. How you can do this? Use Moz Checker
While updating old blog posts, what are the cautions to take?
- Keep the URL same. Don’t change it.
- You may change the title but make sure that you keep the keywords.
- Review meta-description for each post. If you can make it better, do it.
Now, track the post performance. Check how it’s performed before and after updating the content.
#5. Interview other bloggers
Doing an interview with influential bloggers helps you to get backlinks to your site.
Never assume that bloggers are free all the time. They are damn busy. They are very selective of their time. So, you should come up with an interview that is unique.
Analyze these first:
- Will your audience be interested in reading this interview?
- If you think they can explain so and so topic very brilliantly, then ask it.
- If you can make them talk surprising news, it would be better. Frame such questions for interview.
#6. Use Q & A platforms like Quora
Millions of people are using question and answer platforms like like Quora, Yahoo, StackExchange etc. Try to participate in such sites to boost your content marketing results. My buddy Ryan Biddulph has also recently joined Quora and actively writing about blogging related topics. He knows the importance of using a rapid growing platform like Quora to find new audience.
You can use these sites to help your target audience while getting traffic to your own sites. You can follow these tips for promoting your content across these sites.
- Follow the influencers on Quora. Analyze their answers. Find out how they are getting more upvotes.
- Start answering to few relevant questions that match your blog topics.
- While answering the questions, include relevant links to your blog site. But don’t self-promote.
If your readers find your answers informative, they will automatically check your blog links.
#7. Use compelling Infographics: they attract HUGE links
One image is better than 1000 words. Don’t you agree with it? Images always speak louder. You can’t imagine how much targeted organic traffic it can bring to your blog site.
How it helps in growing your Google traffic?
- Human brains process visual based content 60,000 times faster than text-based content. Animations or visuals grab the attention of any reader. It takes time to create an infographic but it’s worth it. Check out this article by Neil Patel to know more about the importance of Infographics. Just see the number of social media shares for this post. Mind blowing. Isn’t it?
Now, you may be thinking of how to get viral Infographic topic idea?
- Come up with unique stories that can touch your readers emotionally. Again that should be related to your blog niche. Even if you can take up the existing stories and write uniquely in your voice, it works too.
- Check for trending topics in your blog niche.
- If you see people debating on so and so topic, then you can take up that too. For example, everyone wants to start a business with zero investment. You can raise an interesting post like, “How on earth anyone can start business without single penny?”.
- Check what content is doing well in other websites. You can get more topic ideas from the sites where documents are shared often. There are thousands of such websites.
Some more tips while creating infographics.
- Instead of just going around with your personal opinion, point out or reference to any statistical data. By doing so, it also increases trust among readers.
- Give a killer as well as keyword rich headline.
- Instead of writing long messages, make sub-headlines.
- Use bullet styling in infographics when you are addressing the facts.
- Make your infographics easy for embedding so that it increases social media shares.
- If you are writing posts like “7 tips to lose belly fat”, then you must number each item in your infographic list.
- If you wish to use numbers in the title, then use odd numbers in title. Odd numbers always outperform better than even numbers.
- Always link back to your site in infographics to get more visibility in search engines.
Over to you
Content marketing is all about creating engaging content to educate your audience about the products and services you offer. If you want to boost your search traffic and sales, develop a content marketing strategy.
Do you have any more tips? Share your thoughts in the comments.