Did you know that 70% of buyers read 4 or more articles before buying from a website?
Content marketing is extremely crucial to build a profitable blog in 2017.
If you are ignoring your content, you are ignoring your sales. It’s as simple as that.
Did you know that marketers are spending $44 billion on content marketing? It gives you the best ROI.
In this detailed article, we’ll discuss about few foolproof content marketing strategies you can use to grow your website sales and traffic in 2017 and beyond.
#1. Short Content is Dead
Gone are the days when you can get more traffic from Google by posting daily on your blogs.
Google is rewarding the sites with long form of content and punishing those sites with thin and mediocre content.
You don’t need to publish every single day. But make sure to publish only when your content is extremely useful for your audience. Be consistent with your posting schedule.
Above all, consider publishing long form of articles (with 2000 to 3000 words). Yes, that sounds insane but it works like a charm.
But there’s a problem. How do you create long form of content consistently?
If you don’t have any budget for content marketing, here are few quick tips to create engaging content.
- Research is the key. Do keyword research for your content first. Find long tail keywords that your audience are looking for.
- Before you even start writing, select the right topic that interests your audience. Use tools like Buzzsumo to find popular topics in your industry.
- Search for long-tail keywords to keep killer title. 80% of the people read headlines first. So, whether your rest of the article is read by the readers or not depends on it.
- Make sure to use your primary keywords while writing.
- In the main body content, use headlines. Never write lengthy paragraphs. They are dead. A paragraph should be of 3 to 4 lines that’s it not more than that. In every headline, address questions like what it is all about? Why it is important? How to do it? etc.
#2. Use long tail keywords
In order to grow your Google traffic, use long tail keywords in your post title. It brings more visitors to your site. Just because you use long tail keywords doesn’t mean it lists you post in first search results. Experts say, 60% of the organic clicks come from top 3 search results. Getting top 3 search results is NOT hard if you use long tail keywords
Using long tail keywords can really pump up your content marketing, website sales and traffic.
How to frame long-tail keywords that works?
Spend quality time in researching keywords with low competition. Long tail keywords are usually four word phrases or more. The longer it is, easier to rank.
- Take the short keyword of your niche. Saying “Marketing”. Now, search in Google Keyword Planner and traverse to keyword ideas. It will display few searches, again take up one and again search repeatedly till you get 4 word phrases.
- Use Soovle tool to get long-tail keywords for your niche blog.
- Not satisfied? There is yet another powerful tool that gives you lot many keyword suggestions. It is If you can afford money, then use scrapebox tool. It gives fantastic results for your niche blog.
- Looking for free and powerful tool for keyword research? Then give a try to keyword tool.
#3. Know your audience to build an online brand
If you don’t know about your target audience well, you are mostly like to fail in content marketing. Building a brand is the key to online success.
Consider branding as your image as a whole.
This encompasses many things like your website, logo, images, content, tone of voice and more.
But you need to create and design branding materials with your audience and target customer in mind for them to be effective. For example, the common misconception is that these branding assets have to be expensive.
What’s more important is they capture the attention of the right people: your target audience. Feel free to use a cost-effective logo maker or generator or build your website with a theme. The price tag doesn’t matter. What matters is focusing on the message your branding is sending to potential customers.
Also focus on your writing style. Read great books. Read Copyblogger articles. Develop a unique writing tone. It could be formal or funny or engaging or professional or anything.
So, you need to understand your ideal reader. By doing so, you can easily sell any product in future. So you need to observe this right from the day you started blogging.
How you can do this?
- Observe your competitor sites. How? Go to SEMrush and type your niche keyword. It will display your competitor site URLs.
- Now, you need to analyze each of your competitor’s site urls. How? Go to Openlinkprofiler, and give one site url in analyze backlinks box. You can check how many backlinks they use in their blog.
- Once you analyze this, you must know where they got these links. You can check this also from above link.
- Now, the trick is how you do link building from those links? Find broken links. You can find it using broken link checker tools. There are lot many available you can use any. Specify url in the tool and it displays the list of dead links. Once you find it, contact the site owner and email about this. If they could include your link, it fetches readers to your site. It is hard but if you contact 10 site owners, at least 3 will favour you. Think in that way and give a try.
#4. Revive your old blog posts
The content in your blog should be refreshing and valuable every time.
It doesn’t which industry you are in, if you are not regularly updating your posts with fresh content, chances that you may lose audience. The traffic you get either through referrals or search engine. When visitors lands on one of your old blog posts and find outdated information, what happens? You will lose a valuable subscriber or visitor.
By keeping your old blog posts updates, you can turn your reader to visitor and then to subscriber. Google always update its algorithm. So, there are good chances that your site might get penalised.
So, what type of changes you can make?
- Check for grammatical mistakes first. It is needed because when we first write content and perform proofreading, it looks appealing to our eyes. Now, read the same old blog post after some months or year, you will find silly grammatical mistakes and you yourself finds outdated.
- Use relevant images and rename it for search engine friendly.
- While editing your blog posts, link to your new posts. This is one good way to increase internal linking in your blog.
- Find out what keywords are really helping for the post to rank high. How? Use SEMrush.
- Check whether you filled meta description for your old blog posts. If not, do it now.
- Every now and then moderate comments on your blog posts.
That being said, how to choose the posts that needs an update?
- Identify the posts that performed well by using blog analytics. Observe number of views for the specific post.
- Check the number of shares in social media. How you can do this? Use Moz Checker
While updating old blog posts, what are the cautions to take?
- Keep the URL same. Don’t change it.
- You may change the title but make sure that you keep the keywords.
- Review meta-description for each post. If you can make it better, do it.
Now, track the post performance. Check how it’s performed before and after updating the content.
#5. Interview other bloggers
Doing an interview with influential bloggers helps you to get backlinks to your site.
Never assume that bloggers are free all the time. They are damn busy. They are very selective of their time. So, you should come up with an interview that is unique.
Analyze these first:
- Will your audience be interested in reading this interview?
- If you think they can explain so and so topic very brilliantly, then ask it.
- If you can make them talk surprising news, it would be better. Frame such questions for interview.
#6. Use Q & A platforms like Quora
Millions of people are using question and answer platforms like like Quora, Yahoo, StackExchange etc. Try to participate in such sites to boost your content marketing results. My buddy Ryan Biddulph has also recently joined Quora and actively writing about blogging related topics. He knows the importance of using a rapid growing platform like Quora to find new audience.
You can use these sites to help your target audience while getting traffic to your own sites. You can follow these tips for promoting your content across these sites.
- Follow the influencers on Quora. Analyze their answers. Find out how they are getting more upvotes.
- Start answering to few relevant questions that match your blog topics.
- While answering the questions, include relevant links to your blog site. But don’t self-promote.
If your readers find your answers informative, they will automatically check your blog links.
#7. Use compelling Infographics: they attract HUGE links
One image is better than 1000 words. Don’t you agree with it? Images always speak louder. You can’t imagine how much targeted organic traffic it can bring to your blog site.
How it helps in growing your Google traffic?
- Human brains process visual based content 60,000 times faster than text-based content. Animations or visuals grab the attention of any reader. It takes time to create an infographic but it’s worth it. Check out this article by Neil Patel to know more about the importance of Infographics. Just see the number of social media shares for this post. Mind blowing. Isn’t it?
Now, you may be thinking of how to get viral Infographic topic idea?
- Come up with unique stories that can touch your readers emotionally. Again that should be related to your blog niche. Even if you can take up the existing stories and write uniquely in your voice, it works too.
- Check for trending topics in your blog niche.
- If you see people debating on so and so topic, then you can take up that too. For example, everyone wants to start a business with zero investment. You can raise an interesting post like, “How on earth anyone can start business without single penny?”.
- Check what content is doing well in other websites. You can get more topic ideas from the sites where documents are shared often. There are thousands of such websites.
Some more tips while creating infographics.
- Instead of just going around with your personal opinion, point out or reference to any statistical data. By doing so, it also increases trust among readers.
- Give a killer as well as keyword rich headline.
- Instead of writing long messages, make sub-headlines.
- Use bullet styling in infographics when you are addressing the facts.
- Make your infographics easy for embedding so that it increases social media shares.
- If you are writing posts like “7 tips to lose belly fat”, then you must number each item in your infographic list.
- If you wish to use numbers in the title, then use odd numbers in title. Odd numbers always outperform better than even numbers.
- Always link back to your site in infographics to get more visibility in search engines.
Over to you
Content marketing is all about creating engaging content to educate your audience about the products and services you offer. If you want to boost your search traffic and sales, develop a content marketing strategy.
Do you have any more tips? Share your thoughts in the comments.
What Is Your Blog Post Publishing Frequency and Why?
From time to time, assess how frequently you publish blog posts. Ask yourself why? Sit. Wait for an honest answer.
I publish 4-5 blog posts daily. Sometimes I publish 6 posts. Why? I share oodles of helpful videos, podcasts and articles but on a deeper level, I intend to get my 124 eBooks in a billion hands or more. Yes; I wrote and self-published 124 bite-sized eBooks. Publishing 6 posts daily allows me to promote 6 different eBooks daily on my blog. I also publish 3 or more guest posts daily to share value and promote my eBooks in more spots. Note; that is 3 or more eBook promotions, in addition to all of my eBooks I promote on social media.
Promoting 124 eBooks daily is no joke. I needed to raise my vibe, practice writing and video and podcasting and get clear on upping my post frequency to drive traffic and business through an approach. I see my blog more as a high volume, blogging news portal, like CNN or Fox News, and less a blog for publishing weekly and leaving it at that. Hey; that is just me, though.
You may be different because all bloggers hold different intents and vibe at different frequencies. Imagine blogging once monthly. Today, you set an intent to publish 5 posts daily between videos, articles and podcasts. Seems foolish, right? Few humans make this quantum leap without putting in years of writing practice and also giving substantial attention and energy to energy management, or, mindset work. Never raise your blog post frequency from energies of fear and delusion; burnout and failure await.
But do bump up frequency if it feels fun, relaxing, prospering and generous to publish more frequently.
On the flip side, pull back on blog post frequency if your current schedule feels heavy, tiring, exhausting and overwhelming.
Only you know how frequently you post and why you post at that clip. You know the honest answer. Be straight with yourself.
Optimal Blog Post Frequency
Follow your fun and relaxation.
What feels really good and fun and relaxing, but maybe a bit uncomfortable, to you? Run with it. Daily? Awesome. Weekly? Cool. Twice daily? Great. One post, one day, and 3 posts, the following day? Why not? If readers enjoy your content they read your content, keeping up with what they can keep up with. Trust your gut.
I advise publishing at least weekly in most cases unless you publish a long form post monthly ranking well on Google, genuinely knocking folk’s socks off. Why? People forget you as you vanish from the stream for a month at a time. Blogs are news portals for your niche. News should not be published monthly. Weekly at a minimum works fine for news updates.
Making Money and Frequency
In my eBook:
I break down how you find buyers for your business online.
Pondering post frequency, money flows to frequent posters and less frequent posters. Everything money-wise depends on your clarity with receiving money and following your frequency strategy because your energy dictates your income. Feel good, and at peace, and relaxed, about your blog post frequency. Success will find you based on your money energy and life energy, independent of your blog post frequency.
Do the inner work and the outer results expand freely and easily over time.
Blogging Income Tip: How Do You Feel about Money?
As I promote my eBook:
I ponder one massive source of anxiety for most bloggers: money. Most of you grew up with money limiting beliefs. Money does not grow on trees. Money is not easy. Money is hard to get. Money is scarce. If you want money, get used to owning and facing each money fear because blogging full time requires you to work for free, generously, for a while, and no human with money fears works for free. All humans clinging to heavy money fears only work for pay. What is working for pay? Jobs. Working for someone allows you to get paid for every hour you work because being employees guarantees payment, per work, per your contract.
Guess what? Blogging is a different animal. Nobody gets paid to be an individual, business-owning blogger because blogging is a business. Business is about building something to boost skills and exposure to where your streams of income yield cash for you. Complete 180 from being an employee because you need face money fears, release fears, and proceed from a generous energy to gain skills and exposure enough to earn a full time income through your blog.
How do you feel about money? Does money feel scarce to you? Do you fear running out of money? Be honest guys. Being straight with yourself allows you to make money because before you make money through your blog, you need to face, feel and release money fears. Why? You never move into actions required to make money being burdened by the heavy fear of losing money, a yoke that saddles most of humanity.
I have noted how Gary Vaynerchuk did 2000 YouTube interviews before he began to get major media and TV coverage. He worked for free for 2000 interviews because he was not burdened by the terror of losing money, vibing abundance and generosity and trust. Most of humanity is so scared to lose all of their money that they never give one interview for free; these people work jobs to guarantee they get money for what they do work-wise, but sacrifice their fun and freedom in the process. You cannot live your dreams through blogging if you have no vision for the future and you cannot create a vision if you feel weighed down by the fear of money loss. How can you dream big dreams if you secretly feel terrified to lose it all? The fear of losing it all dominates your mind, body and actions so you will just work a job to get money and you will treat your blog casually, because your blog does not yield money, like your job.
Of course, your blog does not yield money because you vibe a poverty consciousness and poverty-vibing folks never do the generous giving – working for free, for a sustained period of time – to position themselves for success, a’la Gary Vee and his 2000 YouTube interviews. I have written and published nearly 1000 posts on Blogging Tips. Nobody paid me directly for writing and publishing these posts but the traffic and links and money I gained indirectly through these nearly 1000 posts helped me live a neat life. I began giving generously the moment I faced my money fears.
Expect to do the same if you want to live your dreams through blogging.
What Few Bloggers Understand
I live a pretty sexy life. I have circled the globe for the past eight years through blogging. Pretty cool, right?
But my blogging duties are seemingly mundane, not too sexy at all and in moments, quite boring. I genuinely love blogging. I have fun doing what I do. But I am also a human being experiencing a wide range of emotions on an hour to hour basis. Sometimes, I just want to go to sleep for a little bit because I feel tired and a bit bored with the blogging process. But if I intuitively know it is time to write a blog post I just write the blog post. In these moments, blogging feels boring and mundane and plain and not too sexy. But doing the seemingly mundane things in boring moments lays the foundation for living a spectacular dream life through blogging.
Few bloggers understand this basic fact of sometimes boring activities laying the foundation for a spectacular dream life. Most bloggers believe I do exciting, inspired and amazing things all day long to live an amazing life. This is 100% not true and nothing could be further from the fact. Blogging is fun for me most of the time but sometimes blogging feels boring. Even when blogging feels fun I am not doing anything earth-shattering or jaw-dropping anytime I write and publish blog posts and comment on blogs and promote one or all of my 100 plus ebooks. Does tapping a retweet button and sharing one of my eBooks on Twitter seem earth-shattering? Nope. Simple. East too. But few bloggers understand simple blogging activities lead to great blogging success.
Most bloggers believe you live your dreams through blogging by trying to knock the ball out of the park with viral blog posts and partnerships with the top bloggers on earth. Nope. You live your dreams by simply publishing helpful content, building friendships with top bloggers by being generous and asking for nothing, and by opening multiple streams of income from an abundant, trusting energy. Each of those steps is simple to put into action but sometimes taking each of those steps feel scary or highly uncomfortable. Nudge through the fear. Take the step. Simple, generous actions eventually lead to spectacular results because all meaningful blogging ventures begin with simple, generous actions. Do not believe top bloggers hit home runs everyday. We hit singles again and again and again and again for 10000 to 20000 hours until all those singles add up to something dazzling over the long haul.
Think in terms of tiny impressions made multiple times daily. I could have tried to write a viral guest post on this blog 3 years ago when I first published posts here. But I just chose to do a solid job writing a simple post some 900 times. Now I have written and published 900 + guest posts on this blog which means on a single blog alone I have 900 links or more, based on the ebooks of mine I link to as well. 900 + links leads up to something pretty sexy and spectacular but it was the simple, generous actions I took daily over 3 years of my life that led to the stunning long-term success. Blogging is doing simple things generously for hours daily for years of your life to build something special and meaningful.
Never believe that top bloggers hit home runs every day for a few weeks before they made it big. Anybody who makes it big does seemingly little things with love and generosity every single day over the course of years of their lives. Imagine 10000 to 20000 hours of doing simple things and you get an idea of what it takes to live a spectacular dream life through the medium of blogging.
Do you want to make money blogging?
Buy my eBook:
Search Blogging Tips
Blogging2 years ago
6 Steps for How I Nabbed 6500 Comments on My Blog
Blogging1 year ago
113 Bloggers share their Favorite Email Marketing Tools
Blogging12 years ago
CoComment – The new way to track blog comments
Reviews2 years ago
LeadNetwork Pays Big Bucks for Payday Loans
Blogging3 years ago
6 Tools For Boosting Content Marketing Results Over The Holidays
Search Engine Optimisation3 years ago
7 SEO Analysis Tools Every Blogger Needs to Know
Blogging2 years ago
How to Start a Fashion Blog in 8 Simple Steps
Blogging3 years ago
How to Become a Nimble Blogger