You know as a blogger, in the beginning you need to decide who your readers are and target a specific group. Catering to a target audience has always been one of the ‘rules of thumb’ for bloggers. But after you’ve established yourself and obtained an audience it may be beneficial to branch out and target a little bit wider audience. You won’t be trying to write for the masses, you just want to broaden your scope a bit.
- What other groups could benefit from this information?
- How can I broaden the scope of this material to reach that audience without losing focus?
- Will I get enough readers and gain enough traffic to be worth it?
Some bloggers have a very tight niche and may be unable to broader their topics too much. But for most bloggers, if you spend some time brainstorming about related areas of your niche, you should be able to branch out a bit.
Another way to enlarge your audience is to guest blog. I know the topic has been covered all over the internet. But what you’ll be doing is looking for specific blogs related to the material you want to expand on and not the core of your material that you’ve already been covering. The blog owner may even want to do some guest posts at your blog.
Benefits of Expanding Your Audience:
- More readers = more subscribers.
- More readers will share your information.
- Increase in traffic
- Readers like it when you throw a little extra in
As you can see, broadening your scope just a bit can give you great results without risking abandonment of your niche and target audience.