Original photos are rarely ever perfect.
The issue could be a distracting background element or the image dimensions may simply be too big or small for what your project requires.
A Canva Frame will help you rectify those issues. You can crop images and videos into any shape you like, and also add any of the wide variety of photo effects and styles available on the platform.
In this article, I will show you how to use editable frames on Canva and how to add images and videos to your frame.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the questions people are asking on Google about how use Canva frames to edit visual elements:
Are Frames On Canva Free?
The feature is free forever for both Canva Pro users and subscribers to the free plan. You can use it to design and add fun to your images as much as you want.
How Do Canva Picture Frames Work?
You can access all the Frame options available on the platform via Effects > Frames on the top menu. Go through the options to select the frame you want, then drag and place it on your canvas.
What Is Needed To Use Frames In Canva
Here are the things you will need to start designing your images with Canva Frames:
- A Canva Account — you must open one if you don’t have an account already. The platform works on iOS, macOS, Windows, and Android devices.
- The Relevant Image Or Video — well, that’s why you’re reading this article. Be sure to first download the image you want to modify before going through the steps outlined below.
How To Use Frames In Canva: Step-By-Step Instructions
Log into your account or create a new one. Then, follow the steps outlined below to modify your photograph or video using Canva frames.
- Select a Canva template
- Pick a frame
- Add a photo or video to the frame
Step 1: Select A Canva Template
You would ideally use a blank template and you either select one with preset dimensions or input custom dimensions.
Here is how you to go about picking your blank template:
- On your Canva account’s homepage, click Custom Size button on the banner at the top of your screen
- Then click the dropdown and input the width and height for your image (the minimum size is 40px, while the maximum is 8000px)
- Once you are satisfied, click Create new design to access the editor
To create your blank template on your mobile device, follow the process below:
- Tap the plus (+) button at the bottom of your screen, then press (+) Custom size
- Tap the dropdown menu and input your template dimensions
- Press Create new design to start working on your project
Step 2: Pick A Frame
To get access to Canva Frames, move over to the left hand side menu on your editor and select Elements > Frames.
You can also use the side menu’s search bar to find the Frames feature.
In the Frames section, click see all to view all the available frames.
You have lots of options from regular shapes (circle, square, rectangle, etc.) that are perfect for formal design projects like profile photos and business cards, to unique, purpose-designed shapes (polaroid frames, number frames, etc.) that can be used more creatively.
Once you find a design that is perfect for your project, select and add it to your canvas.
- Tap the (+) plus button on your screen, then press the Elements tab
- Now, use the search bar to locate the “Frame” feature
- Once the Frame page loads, tap the option that best suits your project
Step 3: Add A Photo or Video To The Frame
It’s time to work on your image or video. To add it to your editor, click your canvas (frame), then move over to the side menu and click Photos or Videos.
Now, go through the relevant library to find the image or video you want to use, then drag it over your frame.
You can also opt to upload a photo or video from your device. To do this, navigate to the Uploads section, then click Images.
Alternatively, you can just drag the image from the relevant folder to your canvas.
Once you have selected the image you want, and you hover it over the frame, you should get a preview of what picture plus frame combination will look like.
You can adjust and reposition the image within the frame. To adjust the dimensions of the framed image, double-click on it, then drag the edges till you are satisfied.
Repositioning the image follows a similar process. Double-click and drag it to a new position within the frame.
There are editing options that let you add filters and effects to your work. Canva Pro users can also change the background and background color of the image inserted into the frame.
- Tap your frame, then press Replace from the toolbar
- Select Photos or Videos from the menu options, and proceed to use the search bar to find the best visual element for your frame.
- You can also press Uploads to add an image or video from the gallery on your device
- Once you find what you are looking for, tap it to add it to your canvas
Similar Tutorial Types To Check Out
- How to Draw in Canva: this article will show you how to find and use the drawing tool on the platform to create new designs.
- How to Crop in Canva: discover how to use the crop tool on the Canva editor as well as the free web-based Canva Image Cropper tool to make needed adjustments to your images.
- How to Add A Border in Canva: this article will show you how to add borders to images and frames on the platform, and the various ways you can customize those borders.
This article has shown you how easy it is to use Canva frames to creatively enhance the design of your images and videos.
If you have any favorite frames on the platform, please feel free to share your ideas in the comments section.