I’ll start this article off with a caveat: I’m not a lifestyle blogger.
As Kerouac would say, I’m only offering my own confusion.
That said, I like digging into the world of blogging, and I’ve always found it interesting when someone says they’re a lifestyle blogger or have a lifestyle blog.
Because when you think about it, just about any blog niche is part of a lifestyle.
Semantics aside, I get what people mean when they talk about a lifestyle blog, and that’s generally a blog that can’t really be categorized into one niche or area of interest.
After all, our lives are filled with all sorts of activities, interests, skills, experiences, so it makes sense that lifestyle blogs mimic that same variety.
- What Is A Lifestyle Blog?
- Can You Make Money With a Lifestyle Blog?
- Examples of Successful Lifestyle Blogs
- How Do I Start a Lifestyle Blog?
- Effective Tips For Becoming A Successful Lifestyle Blogger:
- 1. Do Your Research – Know Your Audience And What They Want To Read About
- 2. Be Consistent With Your Content – Post Regularly And Stick To A Schedule
- 3. Write From The Heart – Be Authentic And Honest In Your Writing
- 4. Use High-Quality Photos And Graphics To Enhance Your Posts
- 5. Collaborate With Other Bloggers And Brands For Cross-Promotion Opportunities
- 6. Engage With Your Readers By Responding To Comments And Social Media Interactions
- Wrapping Up
What Is A Lifestyle Blog?
A lifestyle blog is an online platform inspired by a blogger’s daily life, personal interests and areas of expertise, and usually includes content in more than one niche or interest.
Where some blogs may be defined by their niche – a food blog, for instance – lifestyle blogs are often defined by their variety of topics.
Because of this diversity, they are great niches for parents to get into.
There are more overly complicated definitions, but essentially if you want to cover more than one niche on your blog, there’s a good chance yours would fall into the lifestyle blog category.
If you want to publish recipes but also talk about decorating your home, you’ll likely have a lifestyle blog on your hands.
“A lifestyle blog is best defined as a digital content representation of its author’s everyday life and interests,” says influencer marketing agency Mediakix.
“A lifestyle blogger creates content inspired and curated by their personal interests and daily activities.”
That’s a stuffy way of saying: lifestyle bloggers write about life.
Other than that, there’s no real point in defining what a lifestyle blog is because it’s based on your ideas and creative goals.
“Nobody need define your lifestyle blog,” says Monica at The Elgin Avenue, “other than you.”
If you’re wondering what a lifestyle blog is so you can start your own, here’s some advice: don’t worry about labeling or packaging what you’re doing.
Just do it.
You Decide What a Lifestyle Blog Is
If you’re looking to start a blog, be less concerned with definitions and more focused on your reasons for blogging.
Do you want to…
- Write everyday?
- Create blog posts that inspire others?
- Make money?
- Build something creative and meaningful?
Lifestyle blogs are broad and ill-defined by nature.
I run an outdoors blog, but you could also call it a lifestyle blog because outdoor recreation is a lifestyle.
There are no rules, and labels don’t matter.
Just create the blog you want to see out in the world.
That said, the best lifestyle blogs often have a common thread through all their topics and content.
If someone runs a lifestyle blog on healthy food, fitness and wellness, there’s usually a common theme that ties all the content back together.
It may be difficult to see in each specific post, but the overall theme of the lifestyle blog is strong as you go through the blog (or social media profile).
If you’re having a hard time deciding what your lifestyle blog will include, start small and go from there.
Don’t try to do all things at once. Instead, pick a few popular niches that you’re interested in and expand from there.
“The mix of topics will represent your interests but it’s best to stick to those topics with broad appeal – food, travel, fashion, home decor, beauty, fitness and family,” says Alison Wright at Simply Hatch.
What Should a Lifestyle Blog Include?
Again, there are no rules here, but the best blogs have a theme or thread that ties content across topics together.
Some of the blogs mentioned above have three topics, and some have more than five.
So there’s no real content or thing you should include other than to focus on what you’re interested in, where you can provide value and where you can best help your audience.
If that means only tackling food and fitness, so be it.
Don’t try to be an expert in every area.
It’s better to offer real value in two or three niches than offer superficial, surface-level info in seven niches.
Can You Make Money With a Lifestyle Blog?
Yes, and the blogs above can prove it.
If you want more proof, check out these 100 blog income reports or Google something like “lifestyle blog” plus “blog income report.”
You’ll see all sorts of examples of bloggers making money with lifestyle blogs.
You also don’t need to see blog income reports to know lifestyle blogs make money.
If you’re on a blog you like, pay attention to how the site is monetized.
- Are there display ads?
- Sponsored posts?
- A printables shop?
There are all types of blogs that make money, and lifestyle bloggers have plenty of monetization methods available.
Examples of Successful Lifestyle Blogs
It’s a lot easier to “show” what a lifestyle blog is rather than tell you about it, so here are 13 examples of lifestyle blogs in all types of niches.
Hopefully these prove that a lifestyle blog is a flexible, purposely broad label that can fit your creative goals and interests.
- Content categories: entertaining, food, design, style, travel, wellness
- Popular posts: Our Guide to the Best Shopping in Austin; Are You Drinking Water at the Right Times of Day?; How to Perfectly Wrap a Present
Camille’s goal is to “inspire the pursuit of your passions,” and now has a team of creative folks to help achieve her mission.
Hers is a perfect example of a lifestyle blog that started with one person and grew into a recognized online lifestyle brand.
- Content categories: travel, food & entertainment, recipes, home & living, health
- Popular posts: Here’s what it’s like to order furniture from Article.com; Recipe: authentic Mexican tacos asada; San Francisco: How to make the Buena Vista Cafe’s famous Irish coffee
Better Living is more of a magazine-style blog, but the idea is still the same: they cover all types of content within their niches, but readers know to expect a certain standard from a site that gets over one million pageviews per month.
- Content categories: entertainment, home, living, recipes
- Popular posts: The Best Cinnamon Roll Icing; Baked Apple Slices; Paint Over Stained Wood with Liquid Sandpaper
Julie is a great example of a lifestyle blogger who began her blogging journey as an extension of her personal life.
She blogs about different subjects, but they’re all tied to her experience in the event industry.
- Content categories: crafts, decor, recipes, advice, style
- Popular posts: Homemade bath bombs; Homemade margarita mix; Painting cabinets with chalk paint
Elsie and Emma’s blog’s motto is “stay home and make something,” a great example of a theme that weaves through multiple niches and content categories.
Even though they discuss a variety of topics, the “stay home” part of their motto means you won’t find much about travel, etc.
Sometimes what you exclude is just as important as what you blog about.
- Content categories: fashion, family, wellness, beauty, travel, faith & inspiration
- Popular posts: Advocare 24 Day Challenge Recap; “Moms On Call” Update, Review And Thoughts!; My Everyday Drunk Elephant Skincare Routine
Lauren’s blog is a good example of a blog that started out in one niche – fashion – and blossomed into a more comprehensive blog that touches other topics as well.
6. The Stripe
- Content categories: style, DIY, beauty, lifestyle, travel, books
- Popular posts: Apple cider vinegar hair rinse recipe; How to deep clean your scalp; Activated charcoal deodorant: everything you need to know
The Stripe has a very distinct mission: “to leave you feeling like you just had coffee with your best girlfriend.”
So their lifestyle content is positive, uplifting and designed to inspire.
- Content categories: fashion, lifestyle, home decor
- Popular posts: Step Inside my Kitchen…; Isla Rose’s Room Reveal…; My Kitchen Favorites…
I learned about Rachel Parcell from my wife (like I do most big bloggers).
Her blog started with some fashion and wedding content and took off after she was featured in a magazine.
Her site’s undergone a few changes over the years but she manages to keep a steady theme and aesthetic through her content.
She also ends most of her blog post titles with an ellipsis.
- Content categories: holidays, recipes, interiors, DIY, entertaining, life, travel
- Popular posts: The ultimate Christmas appetizers; DIY bath bombs; My favorite pinwheel recipes
This blog’s a good example of why lifestyle blogs are so varied: founder Michael is “an interior designer, cook, DIYer, and writer” with a degree in hospitality management.
With that many interests and experiences, a blogger is bound to create a blog with tons of topics and subcategories, and Michael does a good job of keeping it all cohesive and on brand.
- Content categories: travel, recipes, style & living, calendar
- Popular posts: 45 Top Things To Do In Austin, Texas; 24 Spots With The Best Brunch In Austin; 20 Best Breweries In Austin For Craft Beer
A Taste of Koko is one of my favorite blog examples because it’s based on a lifestyle in one location: Austin, Texas.
You might think by limiting herself to one spot (she does cover other areas, too) Koko would limit the type of content she can produce and traffic she’ll get, but the opposite is true.
By being laser focused on one area, she’s seen as one of the experts on Austin’s food and travel scene and gets a ton of traffic from her lifestyle content.
- Content categories: health, recipes, clean skincare, fitness, mindset, motherhood
- Popular posts: Coconut Oil for Skin: Everything You Need to Know; Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse; 10 Harmful Ingredients to Avoid in Makeup and Skincare Products
Here’s a great example of having complimentary niches or topics on your blog that work well together.
Health and fitness go hand in hand with food, so it makes sense that Noelle would cover these areas on her lifestyle blog.
But she also has categories for skincare, mindset and motherhood, which puts her firmly in the “lifestyle” category rather than just being a fitness or food blogger.
And in fact, although a lot of her content is on fitness and food, her top posts for organic traffic are related to skin and body care.
11. Katie’s Bliss
- Content categories: pregnancy, style, travel, beauty, life, wedding
- Popular posts: Everything you need to know about tape-in hair extensions; Sk-ii facial treatment essence review; My experience using the iluminage precise touch
Katie’s about page explains that her blog is meant to inspire and provide a “glimpse into life living in Manhattan.”
Like Koko in Austin, Katie includes a cool location-based lifestyle factor that allows her blog and content to stand out.
She also has a large Instagram following that completes her lifestyle blog content platform.
“Chriselle’s goal is to encourage, educate, and inspire all women across the globe through her personal style, runway trends, beauty secrets, and fashion tips and trick,” says Chriselle’s about page.
This is one of the stronger, more clear mission statements I found out there and by the growth of her YouTube channel you can tell Chriselle’s hitting the mark with her content and audience.
- Content categories: recipes, wellness, living, outfits, family
- Popular posts: The Five Best Donut Shops in Chicago; Best Dressed Wedding Guest; My Five Favorite Red Wines
Like many examples of lifestyle blogs, Hello Adams Family began as something else – a fashion blog called Sequins & Stripes.
Today, it’s a beautifully done lifestyle website that features lots of family-focused content and some localized content on Chicago.
It’s a good example of how bloggers often start in one specific niche and grow into others as their readership and interests also grow.
How Do I Start a Lifestyle Blog?
Starting is the easy part – here’s how to start a blog that makes $1,000 and beyond.
The hard part?
Growing your blog and consistently providing value to your audience.
Even if you have no blogging or tech experience, starting and setting up your blog is relatively straightforward.
It’s much harder and more time-consuming to keep your blog going over time by creating above-average content that helps and engages your audience.
Effective Tips For Becoming A Successful Lifestyle Blogger:
Now that we’ve answered the question, “what is a lifestyle blog?” it’s time to get into the tips for becoming a successful lifestyle blogger.
If you’re ready to start your lifestyle blog, here are six most effective tips to follow:
1. Do Your Research – Know Your Audience And What They Want To Read About
If you’re going to be a successful lifestyle blogger, you must do your research and know your audience.
- What kind of lifestyle do your readers lead?
- What are their interests?
- What sort of information are they looking for?
Answering these questions will help you to create content that resonates with your audience and keeps them coming back for more.
It’s also important to keep up with the latest trends in lifestyle blogging.
- What topics are people talking about?
- What kind of content is popular right now?
By keeping up with the latest trends, you’ll be able to create content that is both timely and relevant.
So if you want to be a successful lifestyle blogger, make sure you do your research and stay on top of the latest trends and write the WordPress blog that your readers want to read.
You should find a lifestyle blog niche profitable when you post the best lifestyle blogs regularly.
The lifestyle blogging niche is getting popular these days.
Many bloggers are writing blog posts sharing their everyday life.
You should also start your own lifestyle blog and be one of the successful lifestyle bloggers on the blogging platform.
2. Be Consistent With Your Content – Post Regularly And Stick To A Schedule
As a lifestyle blogger, it’s important to be consistent with your content.
That means posting regularly and sticking to a schedule.
Your readers will appreciate knowing when they can expect new posts, and if you’re consistently churning out great content, they’ll be more likely to keep coming back.
Of course, life can always get in the way, and there will be times when you can’t stick to your usual schedule.
But if you’re generally consistent, your readers will forgive the occasional lapse.
And who knows – they might even enjoy seeing a more spontaneous side of you from time to time.
So don’t stress too much about being perfect – just do your best to stick to a regular posting schedule, and your readers will be happy.
3. Write From The Heart – Be Authentic And Honest In Your Writing
Successful lifestyle blogs are written with heart.
Lifestyle bloggers are everywhere.
They write about their passions, their obsessions, and their lifestyles.
And while some may say that they are just “talking heads,” the truth is that lifestyle bloggers have a lot to offer readers.
They are authentic and honest, which gives readers an insight into their lives that they would not get from reading a traditional blog.
In addition, lifestyle bloggers often write about controversial topics, which can start interesting conversations and usually rank in search engine optimization (SEO).
Finally, lifestyle bloggers provide readers with an escape from their everyday lives.
By reading about someone else’s life, readers can get a glimpse of another world and learn new things.
So if you’re looking for an interesting read, be sure to check out a lifestyle blog.
You might be surprised at what you find.
4. Use High-Quality Photos And Graphics To Enhance Your Posts
If you’re a lifestyle blogger, then you know the importance of using high-quality photos and graphics to enhance your posts.
After all, lifestyle bloggers are all about providing tips and advice on how to live a better life.
And what better way to do that than by using beautiful photos and graphics?
Now, there are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to using photos and graphics on your blog.
- First of all, you want to make sure that the photos and graphics are of high quality.
This means that they should be clear and sharp, and they should also be relevant to the content of your post.
In other words, don’t just use any old photo or graphic just because it looks nice; make sure it adds something to your post.
- Another thing to keep in mind is that less is more.
Don’t overwhelm your readers with too many photos or graphics; just use a few well-chosen ones that will enhance your message.
- And finally, make sure you have the right to use any photos or graphics you include on your blog.
There are a lot of great free stock photo websites out there, but always check the licensing agreement before using anything.
By following these simple tips, you can use photos and graphics to take your blog to the next level.
5. Collaborate With Other Bloggers And Brands For Cross-Promotion Opportunities
As a lifestyle blogger, one of the best ways to grow your following and expand your reach is to collaborate with other bloggers and brands.
There are several ways to do this, but some of the most effective include guest blogging, co-hosting events, and cross-promoting each other’s content.
Guest blogging is a great way to get your name and your work out there in front of a new audience.
You can reach out to other bloggers in your niche and offer to write a post for their blog in exchange for them doing the same for you.
This is a great way to introduce yourself to a new audience and get some exposure for your blog.
Co-hosting an event is another great way to collaborate with other bloggers and brands.
You can team up with another lifestyle blogger or brand and host an event together.
This could be anything from a meet-up at a local coffee shop to a more formal event like a workshop or conference.
Working together on an event will help you promote each other’s work and reach a wider audience.
Cross-promoting each other’s content is also a great way to collaborate with other bloggers and brands.
You can share each other’s posts on social media, including each other’s work in your newsletter, or even write a post about another blogger or brand that you love.
This is a great way to get your name out there and build relationships with other bloggers and brands.
By collaborating with other bloggers and brands, you can reach a wider audience, promote your work, and build relationships with others in your niche.
So get out there and start collaborating!
6. Engage With Your Readers By Responding To Comments And Social Media Interactions
As a lifestyle blogger, one of the most important things you can do is engage with your readers.
This means more than just publishing interesting content – it also means responding to comments and interacting with your audience on social media.
By taking the time to connect with your readers, you’ll build a loyal following that will stick with you for the long haul.
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Make sure you’re active on all of the major social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.).
- When someone leaves a comment on your blog or social media post, take the time to respond.
- If you’re not sure what to say, simply thank them for their thoughts or ask a follow-up question.
- Seek out opportunities to collaborate with other bloggers and influencers in your space.
- Regularly host giveaways and contests to keep your readers engaged.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be well on your way to building an engaged and loyal reader base.
So get out there and start interacting!
These are just a few tips to help you become a successful lifestyle blogger.
If you want to take your blog to the next level, then put these tips into action and see how they can help you achieve your goals.