I recently had the opportunity to meet with Nancy Badillo while at the last Affiliate Summit and also got the chance to work with her for a few months and help her launch her first blog. Less than a year later and Nancy has been doing quite well with her blog at NancyBadillo.com and it’s now ranking in the top 100,000 sites on Alexa. It’s great to see that Nancy had the chance to take part in our Meet the Blogger interview series. Be sure to see what Nancy has to say below!
1.) Please tell us about yourself and how you got into blogging?
First of all, I want to thank you Zac for taking time out to do this interview. My name is Nancy Badillo and I am from the beautiful island of Puerto Rico. At the given moment, I reside in the windy city of Chicago. I have been blogging for the past 3 years. I started blogging when the economy went downhill and my hours at work were cut. I started researching ways to make money online. I came across this YouTube channel that was own by, Lisa Irby. She explained the various ways you can make money online by having a blog. I subscribe to her YouTube Channel and joined a company she recommended called, “Site Sell.” The company Site Sell charged $30 bucks a month and gave me all the tutorials and tools to learn all about building a successful blog. This event marks the change of my career into blogging.
2.) What is the focus of your blog and why did you choose that niche?
The focus of my blog is to help others to learn all about online marketing. I want to provide a one-stop place where you can find all the resources you need to become successful at blogging. The reason why I chose the niche of online marketing is because of two words obsession and help. The main reason why I chose online marketing as my niche is because of my obsession. The more I learned about online marketing, the more I wanted to dive into the world of endless opportunities. In addition, I also wanted to provide free resources where anyone can get advice for online marketing without the “get rich quick” hype. I personally was a victim of a get rich quick scam online and have ran into a lot of sites full of garbage content. I wanted to give back to those people like Lisa Irby that helped me understand the potential in blogging and how to do it the right way.
3.) How are you currently monetizing your blog traffic?
There are several ways I monetize my site. I run contextual ads on my pages. The top way I earn money from my site is through Affiliate Networks. I promote specific products by joining affiliate programs. It can be a lucrative way of earning money when done correctly.
4.) What do you know now that you wish you knew when you first started blogging?
There are many things I know now that I wish I knew when I started blogging.
- I wish I knew that I needed to focus on my keywords. The company Site Sell gave me all the tools for researching keywords. I was so impatient wanting to create my website now, I would skip over the tutorials or skim through them. This lead me in creating various websites where I never rank, barely receive a visitor a day, and wasted tons of my time and energy. I have learned that keyword research is vital to the success of my blog.
- Free is not always good. When I felt comfortable enough to built my own site from scratch with out the help of Site Sell, I decided to create a free blog from a company that offer free hosting. I soon learn after building my site, I did not have any customer service support or security for my blog, and had all sorts of advertisements and popups that I could not turn off or make money from. There are too many restrictions with free hosting.
- Social Media: When use correctly, social media is one of the most powerful tools to make your brand visible to millions of people in matter of seconds. In the beginning, I was so overwhelm with creating post on a regular basis and perfecting my site I did not partake in social media. If you own your business and are looking for a way to bring in new customers, then you definitely want to use social media. Today my blog drives 72% percent of its traffic from social media.
5.) What are three blogs that you visit almost daily?
Here are my top three blogs that I visit almost daily
BloggingTips.com: The site is a delightful blogging platform that helps you stay up to date with all the trends, changes, and tips for all bloggers. In addition, the site always has new content uploaded on a daily basis.
2CreateAWebstie.com The site belongs to the very own Lisa Irby. I really love visiting her site because she is focused on helping others create a successful website the proper way. She also has her own YouTube Channels fill with tons of free videos where she provides free resources for creating a website. I have contacted her on various occasions with blogging questions and have always received a response.
HowToMakeMyBlog,com The site provides in depth information about creating a dynamic blog. The post written in the website go in great depth explaining topics such as, “How to get from 0 to 1,000,000 visitors.” The site is easy to navigate with various tools that guide you on creating your first blog.
6.) Can you give us three recommended tools/services that you use with your blogging?
- MeetUp.com Helps find group of people with shared interested meet up all around the world. I used Meetup to meet other individuals in the area of Chicago that are involved with online marketing.
- SEMRush.com Lets you enter any domain and view your competitors keywords, traffic, ads, and much more.
- Aweber.com I used Aweber to manage my email subscribers and mailing list. I check Aweber every day to check the growth of my subscribers.
7.) What advice would you have for someone who is just starting with their first blog?
When starting your first blog define the purpose of your blog. Make sure you take the time to narrow down some possible topics. The topics should be about things you’re passionate about since you will be writing on this topic on a regular basis. When you write on something your passionate about it will never seem like work and you will never run out of content. I made the mistake of writing about topics that did not fuel any passion from my end and ended up wasting countless hours on a blog that never had the opportunity to be successful.
8.) What’s the best advice or tip you’ve discovered about blogging since getting started?
The best advice I received about blogging is to always create a blueprint of your website. Developing your website blueprint helps make the site the best it can be. Using the specific keywords for your pages before starting your website will help with the organizational structure of your site. It will also help you determine if you have sufficient information on the topic enough to create a blog.
9.) If you only had $100 to start a new blog, how would you use it?
I would use the $100 to run marketing campaigns. I would want to bring awareness of my brand and improve my website ranking.
10.) How can readers of the blog get in touch with you?
My Site: https://www.NancyBadillo.com
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+NancyBadillo
Thanks again Nancy for taking the time to share your advice and story with the Blogging Tips community. If you would like to learn about other bloggers and how they are finding success online, be sure to read through our blogger interview series.