The internet era is booming to great heights and world has shrunk in fingertips of every individual. Each ad every individual uses Internet for gaining more knowledge, promoting their products, sharing the amazing factors across one another, doing business transactions etc., Social networking is the buzz word in internet era. For each and every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This is common here as well. One can experience security issues and privacy issues. A security issue occurs by hackers when they try to have site’s protected coding in unauthorized way. But privacy issues that are not so harmful like security issues are nothing but the unwarranted access of private information. Anyways social networking sites like Facebook, LinkedIn etc., are having more chances for security as well privacy issues. It varies among individuals in the way that if a person shares more his personal information in the site among public groups, more chances of security issues are possible. Social networks can be used for fun, more advantageous but it is quite complicated and one should be careful enough in handling them.
Advantages of social networks and the role of security issues:
1. Worldwide knowledge sharing of information among groups, among public. A malicious user can share and tries to motivate young entrepreneurs, lads to illegal ways. I.e. in the way of addicting them to bad habits, making them to share secret passwords to their bank accounts, making forgery in a way asking them to click a link that redirects them to malicious sites.
3. Phishing can be possible when unknown user tries to get access on us. Initially it will start with friend request and once it is accepted, cunning and malicious users take entire control on our private information like stealing passwords, redirecting one to irrelevant site and get Trojans, worms to get spread in the computer.
4. Link building is the common thing in any social networking site. As it promotes business, it will have wrong url embedded sometimes leading one to finish with prone sites, dangerous site that steal your personal information.
5. Quality matters and hackers are always waiting for finding any loop holes in the software. Once they get a chance, they will start to spread malwares as by showing reputed trustful sites and tries to collect personal information.
6. Facebook games and fake facebook toolbars are taking users to a non-trustworthy site that steals passwords.
Social networking sites are very useful in many aspects. They lead to fun, entertainment, business, online teaching, online shopping, and online play. But ultimately security issues are very common while using social networking. One should use it effectively to attain successful business. Social networking is the great and inducing medium in which one can easily grab other’s personal matters. Trust factor is the power factor for the hackers to cheat people. It is the individual responsibility to overcome that. Using antivirus software will help a little and not making one to allow malicious programmer.
This post was written by Alia, who is a blogger by profession. She loves writing, reading and travelling. She also works with it consulting company Orlando.