Are you an aspiring jewelry designer? Do you wish to take your local jewelry business global?
Or, want to pawn your old jewels for some extra cash?
Then, selling jewelry online is the best option for you.
As we all know, people are heavily buying online today. In fact, the digital jewelry market plunged by 1.36% in 2022.
Plus, there are several places to sell jewelry online.
For example, you can set up your website or use third-party marketplaces like Amazon or eBay.
But don’t know where to start selling your jewelry online? Then, no need to worry!
This tutorial will walk you through easy steps to sell jewelry online at reasonable rates. So, let’s get started.
Who Gives the Most Money for Jewelry?
Before setting a roadmap to sell jewelry online, you must create a buyer persona.
It is a fictional characterization of your ideal customer.
It can help you understand who can pay the most for your jewelry.
It can also help you decide the market value of your jewelry.
Many factors contribute to deciding who can pay higher for your jewelry like – age, gender, culture, income, etc.
For example, India and China are countries with the highest demand for gold jewelry – 136.6 and 132.1 tonnes of gold consumption in 2019.
This is because Indian and Chinese cultural values involve gold jewelry in many ways.
For example, gold jewelry is custom to wear and gift in Indian wedding ceremonies.
Another study shows that 81% of jewelry is brought by or for females.
As a result, to determine who can pay more for your jewelry, you need to focus on your potential customers’ demographic factors.
How Do I Find Out How Much My Jewelry is Worth?
Finding how much your jewelry is worth is a tricky part.
The cost of a jewelry piece depends upon several factors, such as the material used, labor cost, etc.
Evaluating the exact cost of your jewelry can help you sell faster online.
It can also prevent you from underselling your jewelry.
There you have two ways to appraise your jewelry:
- Reach out to qualified professionals with jewelry-making and selling skills to calculate your jewelry cost.
- You can also use apps like Google Lens to click your jewelry photo and search online to see at what rate people are selling similar jewelry online.
Why Is Selling Jewelry Online a Good Idea?
The jewelry-selling business has been around for a while.
People have been buying and selling jewelry for years now.
But, the digital landscape has given new dimensions to this business industry.
Today, selling jewelry online is a great idea due to several reasons, such as:
- Wider reach. Around 2.14 billion people buy items online. It is 27% of the world’s population. So, selling jewelry online enables you to target larger audiences and build a global brand.
- Less expensive to set up. Selling stuff online is less expensive than selling from your physical store. For example, listing an item on eBay only takes $0.20. It is far less than renting a jewelry store and paying all the utility bills.
- Try different business models. The digital market allows you to try different jewelry-selling business models. For example, you can start a dropshipping jewelry business, connecting with global jewelry vendors. But, on the contrary, you can make your own jewelry and sell it online. Or, you can try selling using various business models’ combos to increase your revenue.
- Limited restrictions. Online selling comes with limited restrictions. You can sell one product across multiple digital marketplaces. Also, there are minimal legal requirements to sell jewelry online.
Step-by-Step Guide to Sell Jewelry Online
Do you feel overwhelmed about selling your old or new jewelry articles online?
Then, no need to stress! Here are steps to selling jewelry online:
Step 1. Pick Your Niche
The first step to selling jewelry online is to find your niche.
The jewelry market is vast and divided into various categories, like:
- Vintage jewelry is a rare jewelry type that celebrates classic designs and materials.
- Custom-made jewelry is trending nowadays. It is customized based on buyers’ instructions.
- Dainty jewelry is a piece of fine craftsmanship with exotic gemstones and expensive materials like sapphire or gold.
- Handmade jewelry is a prime example of handy work. It celebrates cultural values and handicrafts.
Besides these categories, jewelry can also be divided based on gender specifications and ornament styles.
For example, rings for men, necklaces for women, bracelets for kids, and so on.
Thus, you must decide which jewelry niche you wish to target before setting up your online shop.
To do so, you should run market research and figure out which jewelry niche is more profitable and trending online.
For research purposes, you can use search engine analytical tools to understand which jewelry-related keywords are more searched online.
For example, you can use tools like Google Keywords Planner, Semrush, etc.
Step 2. Define Your Targeted Audience
Once you decide which jewelry niche you are targeting, the next step is to define your audience.
Next, you need to define for whom you are making jewelry.
Knowing your targeted audience can help you create jewelry with maximum profit value.
For example, a study showed that 87% of women wear earrings daily.
In contrast, only 47% of women wear bracelets regularly.
If your target audience is women, you must sell earrings online. But that was just a study result.
Consumer preferences can change anytime according to market conditions and personal interests.
Therefore, you must define your targeted audience based on your jewelry niche.
It can give you a clear perspective on your selling strategy and jewelry design work.
Step 3. Find the Place to Sell Jewelry Online
After knowing your niche and targeted audience, the next step is to find a place to sell your jewelry online.
You have two options to sell your jewelry online: create your website or sell on third-party websites.
If you are an independent jewelry designer or selling your old jewelry for extra cash, the best option is to sell on a third-party website.
Some of the best websites to sell stuff online are:
But there is a problem with selling on third-party websites — you must follow their terms and conditions.
For example, you need to get a license from Amazon Seller Services Private Limited to sell on Amazon.
Moreover, you must follow Amazon seller terms and conditions while paying a nominal fee to list your product on their website.
Plus, Amazon can change its selling terms without prior notice.
Therefore, selling on third-party websites leaves you vulnerable with limited control.
So, when you plan to sell multiple jewelry articles online, the best approach is to set up your own website.
Thanks to the best e-commerce platforms like WooCommerce, setting up your own online store is pretty simple.
WordPress enables you to customize your online jewelry shop using various themes and plug-ins.
Pro tip: You can find many WordPress tutorials on this website to customize your online jewelry shop.
Step 4. Build Your Jewelry Brand
To set up an online jewelry-selling business, you must work on your brand identity. For instance, you must create your brand logo, color palette, tone, and so on.
Besides this, you must register your company to build brand authority.
People prefer to buy jewelry from reputable and trustable brands. Therefore, you must register your company and ISO certification with your jewelry to gain customers’ trust.
Company registration terms can vary from country to country.
Moreover, it is crucial to have a legitimate business to sell worldwide.
Therefore, you must work on brand building and legal structure before selling your jewelry online to meet all the online selling compliance.
Step 5. Work on Your Marketing Plan
The final step to selling jewelry online is to create your marketing plan.
Marketing is crucial to attracting customers and trending your brand name on search results.
Digital marketing has several tactics to build your digital jewelry brand, such as:
- Content marketing is the best plan to improve your search engine ranking, build a good SEO score, and educate your potential customers.
- Email marketing is a perfect way to reach your buyers, inform them about your new jewelry pieces and discount offers, and keep them connected with your brand.
- Social media marketing is a simple and fast approach to building your brand, connecting with potential customers, and running digital marketing campaigns.
- Besides these marketing strategies, you have several other options to promote your business online, like video marketing, PPC ads, and more.
You can use a digital marketing strategy or a combination of different strategies to promote your jewelry business.
But, remember one thing: be consistent with your marketing efforts because search engines and social media channels greatly focus on consistency.
Other Helpful Tutorials
Here are some other useful tutorials to check out for selling stuff online:
- How to Start an Online Boutique: To start your online boutique shop, you can find all the essential instructions and resources in this article.
- How to Start a Clothing Store: Do you make fashion clothes? In that case, you can use this guide to learn how to start your clothing store online and increase your revenue.
- How to Use WooCommerce: This guide can walk you through all steps to set up your digital store in no time.
There you go, jewelry makers! You are all set to sell jewelry online to make extra income.
This guide has shown you five simple steps to set up your online jewelry business.
On a parting note, I want to suggest you use third-party selling websites if you are a beginner.
It can help you better understand how online things work.
In contrast, creating your website is the best way to grow your jewelry business online if you already have an excellent local brand reach.
So, that’s it for now! For more online business setting tutorials, keep on following this website.