Pinterest, a massive collection of online bulletin boards that display users’ handpicked favorites from all over the internet, has been taking the social media world by storm. The site’s users create virtual bulletin boards to display their favorite ideas and things by uploading their own images or linking to an image that is already posted online. Users can browse the never-ending flow of pinned ideas on the homepage and re-pin images and ideas that spark their interest. The more an image is pinned, the more it is seen by the Pinterest community.
As a blogger, this popular new form of exchanging ideas can be harnessed as both a promotional tool for your blog and as an additional way to reach your readers with your blog’s unique ideas. Whether you’re new to the blogosphere or already have a dedicated following, Pinterest can be highly beneficial for you and your readers. Consider these ways of putting the site to work for you:
1. Connect with others that share your same interests and might be potential followers of your blog. When you register for an account, you can select your personal areas of interest and subscribe to the boards of other users with similar interests. When you subscribe to someone’s board, they will receive a notification asking them if they would like to follow your boards back.
2. Organize related content from your blog in a visually appealing format to draw Pinterest users to your blog by creating boards to display your top product choices with images that link back to blog posts with extended explanations or reviews of the products. For example, if your blog deals with shopping, budgeting or finances, you might create a board that displays what you believe is the best credit card to apply for, or pin images of several cards so that your followers can easily compare business credit cards.
3. Place a Pinterest button on your blog to allow your followers to easily pin their favorite images from your blog to their boards and help you win new followers. Because of Pinterest’s visual nature, it is especially powerful for those who have fashion, craft, food or travel blogs with original photographs.
4. Recruit friends and followers to pin images from your blog to their boards. It doesn’t hurt to ask your loyal followers to help promote your blog by pinning you to their “favorite blog” boards. And, it never hurts to repay the favor by pinning a fellow blogger’s images to your own blog.
5. Glean new ideas from the boards you follow or happen across. Probably one of the best ways that you can put Pinterest to work for you is by combing the constant flow of new pins for inspiration that will allow you to make your blog posts more interesting, timely and relevant.
If you are a blogger whose serious about increasing their online visibility, get on Pinterest. Not only is the social media platform an easy way to get your content out there, but is makes going viral incredibly easy.
This guest blog post was submitted by Amanda.