Why do some bloggers get hundreds of thousands of visitors to their sites every month while you’re struggling to get even a handful of them?
Why are you not getting enough traffic from Google even if you are creating great content regularly? Have you ever thought about it?
You probably are making few dumbest SEO mistakes mentioned in this page. Try to avoid them to build a highly successful blog that gets a TON of traffic and sales.
If you are blogging for a while, you already know the fact that SEO is a HUGE ocean. Even the SEO experts like Rand Fishkin and Matt Cutts spend thousands of hours to understand SEO basics and Google algorithms.
For the rest of us, it’s simply impossible to use all the SEO strategies mentioned on the Internet. We should learn and implement few proven SEO tips, learn from the mistakes and focus on what works.
The intention of writing this detailed article is just that. To find and fix few SEO mistakes most bloggers make.
Are you curious to find them out? Let’s get started.
Avoid these SEO mistakes to increase your traffic
#6. Not attracting backlinks
Let me tell you one thing quickly. Google don’t trust NEW blogs. Google crawlers trust authoritative blogs with lots of quality links.
It is the reason why an authority site in your niche quickly gets massive traffic even for the high traffic keywords.
Did you know that 90% of the SEO is backlinks?
Without backlinks, it’s impossible to increase your blog’s overall domain authority, page authority and trust factor. If you have a new blog, instead of focusing on creating new posts day-in and day-out, find ways to attract quality links.
If you are struggling to build quality links to your sites, let me help you. Try these proven link building strategies to attract a ton of links.
- Create link worthy content. There’s no other better way to build hundreds of links other than creating content that naturally attracts links. Find out what’s working in your industry. Analyze all the top blogs. Use SEMrush to find the best performing keywords. Start spending more time on create great content that your audience wants to share and link out to.
- Use Skyscraper technique. Find the most popular content in your field. Create evergreen and top notch content around it. Promote it to the right people. In a nutshell, that’s what the Skyscraper technique is all about.
- Write long form of guest posts. Guest blogging is still a great way to build quality links. Don’t write short and crappy guest posts just for the sake of links. You need to add as much value as possible with your guest posts. It happens only when you write detailed guest posts. The one you are reading now is a mammoth 2000 word guest post.
- Do email outreach. Whenever you create content, link out to other bloggers often. Make sure to email them whenever you do so. Sooner or later they will also start linking out to you!
- Repurpose your content. Why publish a text format blog post and relax? If you want to quickly build links to your content, find various ways to repurpose your content. Turn your posts into videos, podcasts, Infographics, memes etc.
#5. Not using long tail keywords
How come someone will find your site from Google if you are not targeting the right keywords?
Most bloggers make a biggest mistake of NOT doing any keyword research.
They often come up with some random blog topics and post them without actually targeting any keywords. It doesn’t work!
If you want to boost your search engine traffic, start doing keyword research. Not just any keywords but long tail keywords.
If you are wondering why should you use long tail keywords, have a look at the below screenshot.
Did you see that? Short tail keywords are almost impossible to rank for whereas it’s much easier to target long tail keywords and get first page search results on Google.
Long tail keywords are
- Easier to rank
- Easier to increase your traffic
- Easier to boost sales
- Easier to dominate Google search results
- Easier to build backlinks
If you are looking for proven ways to find highly profitable yet low competition long tail keywords, you should read this guide.
#4. Not optimizing for search bots
You don’t have to be an SEO expert to optimize your blog posts or pages perfectly for search engines. Even if you are a beginner who knows nothing about SEO, you can still master the art of keyword optimization.
How? The answer is: use WordPress SEO by Yoast (free).
It is one of the very few WordPress plugins that’s used by almost 95% of the SEO enthusiasts worldwide. It’s easy to use and helps you quickly optimize your pages for your targeted keywords.
It allows you to quickly put your primary keywords in title, meta description, URL, body text, image alt tags etc so you will find it easy to improve your rankings. So what are you waiting for? Go, download it and start using Yoast plugin for better search rankings.
Make sure to target a primary keyword (preferably a long tail keyword as discussed above) before writing a post on your sites. Instead of repeating the same primary keyword again and again in your text, make sure to find and use all the relevant keywords to rank higher in search results.
Always remember one thing before optimizing your content for search engines. Focus on the best stuff to your target audience by targeting the right keywords. Google will take care of the rest. Give it some time and you will reap the rewards.
#3. Using a bad hosting service
Your web hosting plays a HUGE role.
Your website speed, user experience, uptime, server times and bandwidth – almost everything depends on the web hosting service you choose.
Don’t go for a cheap or free hosting just to save a few bucks. It will cost you a lot in the long run. And you don’t have to rob a bank to get a reliable and secured hosting service.
There are a lot of hosting options like Bluehost, HostGator, WP Engine come at an affordable price tag and offer excellent features like speed, security and performance.
That being said, here are 3 important factors to check before picking a hosting service to run your WordPress sites.
- Average customer rating: Before picking a hosting service, make sure to search about it on Google. Find out the opinions of other customers who are already using it. You will easily know the pros and cons about it then. Doing a simple keyword search like “hosting reviews” can help you find the right option for your business.
- Pricing: Don’t pick an expensive hosting especially when you are just starting out. Go small but pick the reliable option. I would advise you to give a try to Bluehost as it is being used by over 2 million sites worldwide and it is also affordable.
- Support: How fast the customer support staff will respond to you when you face any issues related to hosting? You must ask yourself that question before choosing a hosting service. Pick those that offer 24/7 customer support through email, chat and phone.
#2. Not optimizing your site for mobiles
Google is giving top priority to the sites that are mobile responsive.
People are now using their mobiles and tablets to browse information online more than over.
In fact, there are currently over 3.65 billion global users who are using their mobiles to browse and buy stuff online. Have a look at the screenshot below.
So now you know how important it is for you to create a mobile friendly website to increase your traffic and sales. Here’s how you can quickly make your site mobile responsive.
Use WPtouch plugin (free). I know most of you are using WordPress (if not, migrate to WordPress as soon as possible, it’s the #1 platform for sites), WPtouch plugin helps you turn your site into a mobile responsive site with just a few clicks.
The best part is, it costs you NOTHING and it’s a lightweight plugin that means your site speed won’t affect much by using it.
#1. Not fixing your website issues
Are you wondering why your site is not getting enough traffic from search engines and better rankings on Google even after creating great content?
It might be mainly because of your site issues. Fix them as soon as possible to improve your search rankings. That being said, here are few of the common issues most sites have.
- Duplicate content: Duplicate content not necessarily means you are stealing content from others. It might be even include duplicate title tags, meta description etc. So take care of writing unique titles from now on.
- Keyword stuffing: No one likes to read a blog post that’s filled with keywords. Not even Google bots. Make sure to include relevant keyword phrases instead of stuffing the same keywords again and again.
- Broken links: Find all the 404 error pages and dead links on your sites. They are killing your readership and resulting in bad search results on Google. Use tools like Broken Link Checker to find and fix all the broken links from your sites.
- Avoid shorter articles: Any article that’s below 400 words is useless. It’s better to write a 1000 words article twice a week than writing 3 shorter articles (400 words). You can add more value, target more keywords and give better experience to your readers with long form of articles.
Conduct a site audit if possible (to find and fix all your site issues). There are a lot of SEO tools available such as SEMrush, Seoptimer, Raven tools etc to do a thorough audit of your websites.
Also quickly analyze whether your site is mobile responsive or not. Figure out if you have any title tags that are over 65 characters. By fixing all these site issues, you can quickly notice a huge boost in your search rankings.
Final thoughts about the top SEO mistakes
Creating a WordPress blog is really easy but getting traffic from Google is not.
It usually takes a lot of time, efforts and money to get massive traffic from search engines. After all, 99% of all the marketers and bloggers want more traffic and sales.
Instead of focusing on trying new SEO strategies, it’s always better to focus on the mistakes you are already making. By fixing the SEO mistakes you’re making, you can improve your chances of getting better search results really quickly.
Conduct a site audit regularly, focus on creating long form of content, use the right SEO tools to quickly boost your search engine traffic and website sales.
Please share this post with others if you find it useful.
So what are the SEO mistakes you are making from the above? Do you have any questions? Share your thoughts in the comments.