Recording, editing, and posting videos are now more accessible than ever!
You can shoot and start video editing using just your smartphone. However, different devices and video editing software use other file formats.
Integrating a video converter into your workflow ensures you never run into compatibility issues.
That’s not all. You can use video converter software to standardize video formats in a single project.
Some media formats are more shareable than others, so you better stick with popular video formats that are favored by most social media channels.
Follow along as we explore some of the best video converter software that empowers you to deliver your message to a wider audience.
Some even offer a built-in subtitle editor, hardware acceleration to run on older devices, and an option to download online videos.
Whether you’re looking for a free video converter or don’t mind dropping some extra bucks for a paid version, we’ve got you covered!
- The 9+ Best Video Converter Software (Overview)
- How Do Video Converters Work?
- The 9 Best Video Converter Software
- What’s the Difference Between Different Video Formats?
- How to Pick the Best Video Converter Software?
- Wrapping Up
The 9+ Best Video Converter Software (Overview)
We’ve included an overview of our top picks below. For detailed information on each pick, scroll down.
- WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- AVC Freeware Converter
- FonePaw Video Converter Ultimate
- Eassiy Video Converter Ultimate
- Wondershare UniConverter
- DivX Converter
- Freemake Video Converter
- Movavi Video Converter
How Do Video Converters Work?
Video file formats are basically the coding framework that governs the output structure of a video file. Some formats are more efficient than others in terms of storage size, while others do a better job of preserving pristine video and audio quality.
Content creators might have to juggle between different video files to publish their work on different platforms, as each has its own compression file presets. Using video conversion tools can effortlessly convert video clips from one format to another, saving you precious time.
This is done in one of two methods. One involves changing the container formats without tangible changes to the actual video files, while the other re-compresses the video from the ground up. The latter video conversion tool may affect video fidelity in a process known as transcoding.
The 9 Best Video Converter Software
Converting video files into different output formats unlocks your content’s full potential and gives you more control when it comes to editing and publishing your work.
Now that you know how video conversion software works, let’s help you pick the best tools that help you up your video editing game.
What better way to kick off our list than with a video converter that offers over 70 different file formats, including MP4, AVI, MKV, and MOV?
In terms of video quality, this software is no slouch! VideoProc video converter for Windows and Mac supports up to 8K resolution without any signs of slowing down. This is made possible thanks to the GPU acceleration codex built right into the software.
- Offers powerful tools allowing you to merge videos, correct fisheye, and crop videos into shareable snippets.
- The list of formats this software supports includes GoPro videos, offering de-noise and de-shake tools to make your adventures more cinematic.
- Manages to strike the right balance between appealing to advanced users and giving beginners an easy way to get into the video conversion gig.
- VideoProc’s built-in video compressor stores up to 90% smaller files, saving you tons of storage.
- Comes with a video recorder that gives you three different modes to choose from.
- The free version is very limited.
You can try out VideoProc’s free version to test first-hand if the video conversion tool works great with your preferred media formats.
The free trial version puts a time limit of only five minutes on your videos, which is decent enough to get a grasp of the software.
If you want to unlock the full experience, you can opt for the paid plans starting from $25.95.
The starter pack gives you uncompromising access to the video converter on one PC and raises the bar in terms of quick video conversion speed!
VideoProc is a versatile video converter that caters to GoPro users, supports 70 different formats, and uses hardware acceleration for exceptional conversion speed. In addition, it offers a balanced set of features that appeal to both power users and beginners.
Click here to try out the free version!
2. WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
WinX HD video converter software offers over 420 video format variants. This includes file formats that work natively on iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.
It’s true that not many people download content to their devices any more as online videos make up the bulk of our entertainment consumption.
Nevertheless, having video and audio files on your device and using the basic video editing tools that smartphones provide can take your video editing game to the next level!
- Uses 4K input video formats and allows for conversion to over 420 media formats.
- WinX HD video converter works with lossless audio formats, making your videos more immersive.
- Provides advanced features for audio extraction and creating video snapshots.
- Download playlists from over 100 online video websites.
- Compress video into a more efficient video format to reduce storage file size.
- We’d love to see more flexible output video options like burning to Blu-Ray discs.
WinX offers a free video converter for users looking for just the basic video editing tools. If you want to up your video conversion experience, you can pay $59.95 for the premium version. It’s worth noting that you can secure a discount code and get the full version at only 50%.
Not all paid video converters offer native iOS and Android file support, that’s why WinX video converter Deluxe manages to stay on top of the competition. You also get an intuitive interface with streamlined video editor tools and a download option for YouTube videos.
3. AVC Freeware Converter
Next up is the AVC converter! The three letters stand for Any Video Converter, which gives you a solid idea of what’s in store for you. The online video converter lets you store online videos on your device for offline viewing without much of a toll on your data plan.
Just like VideoProc, you get custom profiles for different devices to ensure you don’t fiddle with settings for too long and get your videos effortlessly converted to the desired format.
That’s not all. The video converter offers comprehensive ways to edit videos without leaving the app. You get to choose from different effects to set up the tone for your videos, in addition to the basic crop, rotation, and merge tools.
- AVC can convert online videos, giving you more means to enjoy your media when you don’t have a reliable internet connection.
- The free video converter software is available for both Windows and macOS.
- Lets you extract audio from CDs and DVDs, allowing you to secure audio files on compact discs.
- Comes with built-in video filters that fine-tune the colors of different scenes.
- Supports over 160 output formats for all versatile video creators out there.
- Bulk conversion is kept behind a paywall.
The free video converter software offers a complete set of features and supports a variety of output formats.
If batch conversion and burning videos to discs are of utmost importance to your workflow, you can opt for their premium packages starting at $39.95.
If you’re looking for a stripped-down video converting software that delivers a focused experience, you’ll love the AVC converter. The software comes with over 160 output format options. It also plays nicely with CDs and DVDs, giving you more ways to distribute your work.
4. FonePaw Video Converter Ultimate
FonePaw video converter software shoots for delivering the ultimate multimedia tool, and in our experience, the app doesn’t disappoint.
In addition to nailing the basic video conversion functionality, the software comes with a built-in media player, video editor, and tools to burn videos on different disc formats.
It’s also worth noting that this software handles multiple files without breaking a sweat. The conversion process remains fast and snappy even when you’re throwing multiple videos into the mix. This is made possible by the video converter’s optimization with AMD and NVIDIA acceleration technology.
- Works seamlessly with CUDA-enabled GPUs to convert HD videos at speed without compromising video quality.
- The powerful video converter is able to output different files simultaneously into your chosen video formats.
- Converted videos can be viewed as MOV, AVI, MP4, WEBM files, and other supported file formats.
- Offers a DVD ripper tool to salvage your long-forgotten videos and bring them into the modern media era.
- FonePaw video converter ultimate faces issues when dealing with large video files exceeding 2GB.
FonePaw comes with a flexible pricing strategy to ensure you’re getting the most value for your money.
You can get a single-user license for as low as $39.95. But if you’re working in a collaborative environment, you’re better off with the family license.
The more expensive plan will cost you $69.95, but you get a 30-day money-back guarantee, giving you an idea of how confident the FonePaw team is in the quality of its product!
FonePaw cements itself among the best video converter software, thanks to the GPU optimization that allows for exceptional conversion speeds.
Click here to download the free version and see why many users have fallen in love with FonePaw video converter ultimate.
5. Eassiy Video Converter Ultimate
Eassiy is tailored towards professional content creators and cinematographers as it’s designed for encoding videos at the highest output resolution. The software is capable of file conversion for videos with 4K, 8K, and UHD resolution, ensuring no pixels are lost in the conversion process.
In terms of rendering speed, Eassiy does the same hardware acceleration tricks we’ve seen with other video conversion applications. However, it manages to outperform competitors with 60 times faster conversion speed, thanks to its masterful video rendering channels.
- Allows for batch conversion while preserving lossless audio formats.
- The video conversion software can upscale videos to 8K using AI technology, allowing your content to look more pristine than ever.
- Optimized to make the most of multi-core processors, cutting down rendering times considerably.
- Doesn’t offer a free version.
The basic annual plan costs $39.99 per year, but only gives you a single license for one device.
If you want to share your video converter for Windows with your friends and family, you need to drop extra cash for the higher-end plan sitting at $149.99 per year.
It’s also worth noting that Eassiy video converter ultimate offers a perpetual plan for $55.99, giving you lifetime access to the video converter tools. This is ideal for users who don’t want to commit to a subscription model.
Looking for video conversion software that enables an output format of 8K resolution for your SD videos? Eassiy video converter ultimate is a no-brainer. The software makes use of multi-core processing to boost its conversion speed up to 60 times faster.
Click here for the download link!
Virtual Reality (VR) is finally taking off with more tech giants pouring in resources to realize the full potential of such an immersive technology.
If you’ve been trying to jump on the hype train and create content optimized for VR headsets, Wondershare UniConverter will help you realize your goal.
The versatile video converter also lets you burn videos on discs compatible with the XBOX gaming console.
In addition to converting videos to niche formats, Wondershare UniConverter allows for high-quality video screen recording with audio. This allows you to create tutorials for all your online followers out there and diversify your content output.
- Supports over 1000 file formats, including Facebook videos, Windows, and MacOS popular formats, in addition to gaming console output formats.
- Offers a video downloader that lets you save videos in your chosen file format.
- Can convert videos at 4K/UHD resolution.
- The video converter allows for video retrieval from old CDs and DVDs.
- Provides support for different audio format conversions, allowing you to include your favorite audio tracks without any compatibility limitations.
- The user interface can benefit from a simpler design language with a streamlined toolbar.
Unlike online video converters that exclusively adopt the subscription model, Wondershare UniConverter gives you the best of both worlds.
You can get a lifetime license for $69.95 if you don’t want to pay a yearly subscription of $45.95.
It’s also worth noting that a family plan is available for $99.95 for multiple users to embark on the same collaborative project.
iOS and Mac users rejoice as Wondershare UniConverter supports video formats compatible with your devices. In the age of online meetings, Wondershare UniConverter proves to be useful for its screen recording features with narration.
Click here to choose your plan and convert videos with ease!
7. DivX Converter
Website owners and freelancers are always looking for ways to cut down some corners and get the most return on investment. So, here comes DivX converter with its rich feature set and a free plan that is actually reliable for running a business!
You get to convert videos into different formats while maintaining a manageable storage size. The good news is that the compact file size doesn’t come at the cost of video fidelity.
It’s also worth noting that the free video converter program allows you to retrieve content from old DVDs provided that data isn’t encrypted.
Finally, video converters tend to include editing tools and the DivX converter is no different. The free version allows you to crop, trim, and rotate your videos. You can also add a custom watermark to ensure your intellectual property is protected online.
- You can add subtitles no matter what video format you opt for, making your content accessible to a wider audience.
- The open-source video converter offers advanced features like Wavefront Parallel Processing that extends the depth of field of your original video clips.
- Takes advantage of B-frames compression algorithms to maintain image quality.
- Gives you access to cloud storage and Google Drive integration for data backup.
- Video file quality can take a hit if you go all-in on video compression.
DivX video converter offers a basic version that removes any admission barriers and allows content creators to convert videos into different formats without paying a dime.
If you want advanced features like Wavefront Parallel Processing, B-frame, and Target Quantizer, you’ll need to get the affordable pro plan for $19.99.
You don’t have to drop big bucks to convert video formats, as DivX converter snatches the best free video converter spot, and for all good reasons.
The video converter offers exceptional compression features to maintain compact file sizes, in addition to delivering more output formats for different online platforms.
8. Freemake Video Converter
Free video converters that don’t interrupt your workflow every few seconds with annoying ads are few and far between. So, it’s refreshing to see what Freemake video converter brings to the table for zero admission cost.
The free converter for video allows you to download videos from popular online video-sharing sites like YouTube and Dailymotion. This allows you to expand the canvas you’re working with and integrate your previously published projects into your latest content.
In terms of supported formats, the Freemake video converter lets you work with video files across 500 formats. You can convert video for formats compatible with smartphones, consoles, and virtually all smart devices in between.
- The free video converter comes with DVD-burning features.
- The online tool allows you to create photo slideshows from your uploaded videos.
- Lets you download videos from YouTube, Dailymotion, and other video-sharing sites.
- Adopts the freemium model to deliver the best free video converter experience with no sign-up barriers.
- Comes with a straightforward user interface built around effortless video conversion.
- The conversion speed leaves a lot to be desired.
Just like its name suggests, the Freemake video converter offers a wide slate of features for no admission cost. It deservedly snatches the title of the best free video converter thanks to its powerful toolbar that lets you download video, covert files in 500 formats, and create slideshows.
Freemake video converter offers a free version that doesn’t feel like an afterthought, which is refreshing to see when other video converters are locking essential features behind a paywall.
Click here to convert videos with ease!
9. Movavi Video Converter
What better way to wrap up our list than the Movavi video converter? This software makes for the ultimate content creator tool, thanks to over 200 presets that let you optimize video formats with a click of a button. You can convert videos into over 180 formats and you get insight into which platforms support each video file type.
Movavi video converter also allows you to create GIFs, so you can post teasers on your social media channels and build up hype for when your video goes live. Just like other best video converter software on the market, Movavi video converter supports GPU acceleration to make the most of your hardware and allows for HD video conversion at high speeds.
- The video converter works seamlessly with a video file of 4K/UHD resolution.
- Comes with an audio converter that’s capable of extracting soundtracks from your different videos.
- Supports variable bitrate that gives the best file size to quality ratio.
- Movavi video converter offers exceptional conversion speed, making it a viable option to convert videos of extended length.
- Can’t burn videos to Blu-Ray discs, which could be a letdown for some video editors.
In terms of pricing, the Movavi video converter is sitting in the middle of the line compared to the competition.
The paid version comes at $49.95 with a decent set of features to let you tackle any video conversion project that comes your way.
But before dropping your hard-earned cash, you can try the video converter for yourself as Movavi offers a 7-day trial period!
Have an extended feature-length video file on your hands and looking for a video converter that doesn’t crash on you? Movavi’s got you covered, thanks to its variable bitrate that optimizes file size and helps deliver the highest quality.
Click here to start your free trial!
What’s the Difference Between Different Video Formats?
Not all video formats serve the same function! Let’s walk you through the main differences between the most popular video formats and help you pick the one that best fits your project.
MP4 is considered the standard video format across different platforms and devices. So, it comes as no surprise to know that both Windows and Apple devices can run the MP4 video codex.
The wide adoption of such video format is attributed to the compact file size that doesn’t compromise image quality.
MP4 files can take up only a couple of megabytes and the video itself won’t suffer much blurring.
It’s also a friendly video format when it comes to posting content online. Video-sharing websites support MP4 and have tools that upscale video fidelity.
It’s mind-blowing how time flies, as Microsoft created the AVI video format back in the day to be the standard used with Microsoft Media Player.
Who could imagine that AVI became forgotten after being built as the bleeding-edge technology with promises to be the video format to rule them all?
Microsoft stopped updating this video format, so AVI videos could be hard to run on newer devices with more advanced video codex.
It’s worth noting that AVI videos don’t play nicely with Apple devices, so it’s wise to convert your existing AVI files to MP4.
The MOV video format was created by Apple and has proven to do wonders when it comes to preserving pristine video fidelity. It works well on Windows devices, but you may face some issues with Android devices.
Compared to MP4 files, MOV videos might take up more space on your precious hard drive. The good news is that MOV codex is similar to that of MP4 and the video conversion process should be straightforward, even if you’re dealing with sizable files.
How to Pick the Best Video Converter Software?
Different video converters come with different feature sets. If you’re a video creator looking for more means to scale up your business and publish your work on different platforms, you’ll be looking into video converters with the most supported file formats.
On the other hand, if your video conversion needs are pretty simple and you’re only working with a couple of video formats at a time, you can make use of a simple video converter software with a user-friendly interface that gets the job done.
No matter which video converter you opt for, you need to make sure the most popular video formats are covered. Those include MP4, AVI, MOV, and MKV. The best free video converters offer such formats for free.
However, this isn’t always the case. An online video converter can offer one or two video formats for free, but keep the others locked behind a paywall.
It’s also worth noting that professional video editors might work with some niche video formats not widely adopted in the video converter marketplace. If this is the case, you need to read through the supported format list of your video converter of choice and make sure you’re well covered.
In order to ensure your video conversion work is as efficient as possible, you should try out the preprogrammed profiles. Such presets allow your video content to run on specific devices, including smartphones, gaming consoles, Windows PCs, and MacBooks.
Video converter software can offer preset packages of different sizes. The larger the set of preprogrammed profiles, the more supported devices are covered.
Speed is a huge deciding factor in your video converter software choice. If you’re working with tight deadlines and have several videos to work with on a single day, you need to adopt more efficient video conversion tools to tackle such a workload.
It’s also worth noting that bulk conversion can automate the video rendering process and allow you to take on large projects with multiple video files in a single go!
On the other hand, if speed isn’t a priority as you’re taking on video conversion as a hobby or a one-time project, you can tolerate slower video converters. You won’t have to pay for such video conversion tools but they can get the job done.
If you’re taking on the video conversion gig for the first time, you’ll be better off with a simple video converter that comes with a straightforward user interface.
It’s also worth noting that some applications come with guides and walkthroughs to give you all the tips and tricks you need to make the most of the video conversion tools at your disposal.
Power users prioritize functionality over simplicity, and they can look past a less intuitive interface provided they have more advanced tools to work with.
By now, you should have a solid idea about what to look for in video converter software. Such tools can help you customize your video content to fit onto different online platforms, helping you reach a wider audience.
Free versions of video converter tools remove admission barriers and let you convert video encoding to work on your device of choice. But if you’re dealing with a more complex project, you might want to take advantage of the advanced tools that paid video converters offer.