You logged into your Canva account with the intention of completing an outstanding design project.
And to your astonishment, the language settings of your account have changed overnight and you can’t understand a single word of what you are seeing on your screen.
It can happen, although it’s a rare occurrence.
Canva is a global platform, and more than half of its 60 million users don’t speak the English language. That incomprehensible “gibberish” you are seeing on your screen is one of the over 100 languages supported by the platform.
The change in settings could occur either because someone changed your account’s language settings or your device’s locale is in another language.
In this article, I will further explain the reasons why Canva may be in a different language and how to change language settings on your Canva account.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the questions native english speakers and users from other countries are asking about Canva’s language settings on Google:
Is Canva Only In English?
The company pursues a localization strategy to bring its platform to as many people all over the world as possible. Canva users can select from over 130 languages, and the only issue is that there is still no provision that lets users add unsupported languages.
What Is The Default Language For Canva?
Nominally, the platform’s language settings are set to English, but it may default to another language if your browser or device indicates that you are located in a non-english speaking country.
What Is Needed To Change Language Settings On Canva
Here are the devices and tools you will need to activate your preferred or native language on Canva:
- A Desktop — the language settings are not accessible on the Canva app you downloaded on your device, and you can only find the language button on Canva’s web-based version.
- The Chrome Browser — if you are in a situation where Canva doesn’t support your preferred language, you can access Google Translate through the Chrome browser to help translate what you are seeing on your screen.
How To Change Language Settings On Canva: Step-By-Step Instructions
The platform is truly robust, and you can check out one of my previous articles that is primarily a detailed overview of Canva.
For this article, I will focus on showing you how to adjust the default language settings on the platform:
- Check the locale settings on your device
- Change language settings on Canva
Step 1: Check The Locale Settings On Your Device
You must first confirm whether the problem is from your device and not Canva. Below, I will show you how to check locale settings on Windows and Mac.
- Search for the Control Panel app using the search tool in the Windows taskbar
- On the Control Panel screen, select Clock and Region > Region
- On the next screen, click the Administrative tab
- There you can view your device’s current default language, and if it’s not your preferred option, click the Change System Locale button
- You should see the Region Settings Pop-up. Click the “Current System Locate” dropdown and select your desired language from the available options
- Navigate your way to System Preferences, then select Language & Region from the list of apps on the screen
- On the Language & Region Preferences screen, click the General tab
- Now, you should be able to see your default language within the “Preferred Languages” box. Tap the plus (+) icon at the bottom-left corner of the box to access the list of languages if you need to make changes.
Step 2: Change Language Settings On Canva
Log into your free or Canva Pro account, and move over to the gear icon at the top-right corner of the homepage—it is the Settings button.
Click on the icon to access the Account Settings page. Click the Account tab, and select Language from the dropdown menu.
You can then scroll through till you find your preferred language or use the “Language” search bar as a much quicker option.
Once you find the language setting you are looking for, click on it, and Canva will automatically refresh your screen to implement the new languages settings.
If you can’t find your preferred language, you can contact the Canva team, or get your translation using Google Translate.
I must also point out that any changes you make on the desktop version of the Canva platform will also be implemented on the mobile app.
The desktop changes are immediate, but it might take a few minutes before the app is updated.
Similar Tutorial Types To Check Out
- How to Fix Canva Not Working: this article will help you discover the reasons why this status error may show up on the platform, and proven ways to fix the problem.
- How to Log Into Canva: beginners will discover at least three ways they can access the platform to do graphic design work, while experienced users that are having issues logging in, will discover why the issue may be due to a violation of Canva’s policies.
- How to Log Out of Canva: this article will show you how to sign out of the platform on all your devices and reasons why you may want to do so.
Once you can trace the source of the problem, fixing language issues on Canva is quite easy.
If an outsider was responsible for changing your account’s language settings, then someone else has your login details, and you must change your password.
I hope this article has shown you how to fix any language problems on Canva, and if you have any questions, feel free to reach out in the comments section.