In this digital world, content is king.
While most content creators understand the importance of engaging material, many focus on offering valuable information, neglecting to account for the interactive nature of digital media.
It’s called social media because platforms provide spaces for bilateral communication between creators and their audiences, and the most successful publications capitalize on engagement to create vibrant, interactive spaces.
Interactive content drives 2x more conversions than static content – it’s the key to driving visibility and sales.
Use this guide to create the best interactive posts for your blog, website, or social media account – and watch the numbers rise.
- What is an Interactive Post?
- What is the Purpose of Interactive Posts?
- Why Are Interactive Posts Important?
- Common Types of Interactive Posts
- What Types of Interactive Posts are Most Popular?
- Examples of Interactive Posts
- Where to Find Inspiration & Ideas for Interactive Posts
- How Do I Get Interactive Posts?
- Process of Creating an Interactive Post
- Best Practices for Interactive Posts
- Interactive Post Tools to Save Time and Money
- Other Related Content Types to Check Out
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
What is an Interactive Post?
There are many different types of content online.
Most digital publishers distinguish between static posts – those that provide information or deliver a message – and interactive posts.
Interactive content encourages audience participation: quizzes, questions, or other products that solicit input from viewers.
Interactive content tends to produce better results for content creators and marketers, driving views, readership, and conversions.
What is the Difference Between an Interactive Post and a Blog Post?
While most people think of interactive posts as distinct from blog posts, interactive content can appear on blogs.
Interactive posts are one of many types of blog content, and while your interactive blog posts may look a little different from social media posts, they still qualify as interactive.
Interactive blog content consists of posts that align with your given niche but encourage your readers to comment or respond in some way.
What is the Purpose of Interactive Posts?
Your audience size depends mainly on the degree to which your posts engage viewers and readers.
Search engines and social media platforms use algorithms that assess and weigh the engagement potential of a post.
Those that drive engagement receive priority in digital spaces.
Interactive content is more likely to drive engagement because it solicits input from your audience.
You can use interactive posts to:
- Promote a product or brand
- Acquire more readers or followers
- Gauge interest in a product or idea
- Spread brand or issue awareness
- Learn more about your audience or niche
Why Are Interactive Posts Important?
Interactive content is crucial to your brand’s success.
Because interactive posts drive engagement, they allow you to strengthen your existing customer relationships and develop new ones.
Researchers have found that interactivity is one of the main drivers of memory, engagement, and interest in a brand – so a content strategy that prioritizes interactivity is more likely to lead to higher returns.
Benefits of Interactive Posts
There are many potential benefits to posting interactive content.
Marketing is generally expensive, and interactive posts are low-cost with high return potential.
Other interactive posts can:
- Drive viewership or readership
- Increase reach and popularity
- Boost brand loyalty
- Develop leads
- Drive conversions (if you own a business or brand)
- Assess interest in a product, service, or idea
- Receive feedback
Common Types of Interactive Posts
Interactivity should be a priority for your website, blog, and even social media content.
However, you can choose from different types of interactive posts. The most successful posts align with your niche, audience, and message.
You don’t have to hit each category to experience the benefits of interactivity – start with one class and experiment.
Surveys are time-tested, reliable interactive content that works for most brands and businesses.
A survey consists of a list of related questions on a given subject. Digital publishers release surveys to:
- Gauge interest in a brand or product
- Identify pain points or customer opinion
- Solicit ideas or feedback
- Encourage readers to engage with a post
2. Quizzes & Polls
Quizzes and polls are amongst the most popular interactive content types.
Quizzes consist of self-assessment questions that allow readers to learn something about themselves or a given topic – and they drive engagement. The most popular New York Times story of 2013 was a quiz.
Polls are generally multiple-choice-style questions encouraging audiences to “vote” on a given topic, allowing brands to gauge popular opinion.
Online calculators allow readers to perform mathematical calculations related to a given topic. For example, ROI calculators help businesses to determine potential returns, while home value calculators inform homeowners of their property’s worth.
4. Interactive Graphics
Interactive graphics represent data, ideas, or information that allow audiences to personalize and manipulate animations or images.
You can use interactive graphics alone or use graphics for things you write about.
Interactive infographics, for example, allow consumers to visualize data related to your brand or business.
What Types of Interactive Posts are Most Popular?
The Content Marketing Institute’s white paper suggests that the interactive posts listed above are the most popular.
Additionally, the following interactive content is effective in driving engagement:
- Games and contests
- Interactive eBooks and white papers
- Wizards, calculators, and configurators
Examples of Interactive Posts
There are many excellent examples of interactive posts on websites like Buzzfeed and Medium. Additionally, many popular news publications produce interactive posts.
Consider the examples below to begin brainstorming.
- New York Times Interactive Dialects Quiz and Map: The New York Times article mentioned previously was one in which viewers answered a series of questions about dialect, then received an interactive map of national dialects.
- Buzzfeed Inner vs. Outer Aesthetic Quiz: Buzzfeed is a well-known publisher of interactive quizzes. This quiz, which asks users questions to assess their inner and outer aesthetics, received over 1 million views.
- Zillow Rental Property Calculator: The popular real estate website Zillow published a rental property calculator widely used among landlords and prospective investors.
Where to Find Inspiration & Ideas for Interactive Posts
Nowadays, most publications—news outlets and blogs—produce interactive posts.
You can find inspiration and ideas for your interactive content from popular websites like:
Many major brands and businesses publish interactive content and personalized blog posts. Consider:
To find ideas for your blog or platform, search Google for content within your niche.
How Do I Get Interactive Posts?
To create your interactive posts, consider the following best practices.
- Do your research: Research brands, businesses, and accounts within your niche to find interactive content that applies to your area of expertise. You can also read compilations of the best interactive content with a quick Google search.
- Assess your data: Many interactive posts rely on data to appeal to customer interests and values. Assess your audience data to determine which post will work best for you.
- Ask your audience: Ask your audience to help you brainstorm interactive post ideas. Asking a question qualifies as interactive content, so you will already have made your first interactive post!
Process of Creating an Interactive Post
Creating an interactive post begins with research and ends with data analysis.
Ultimately, interactive posting—like most forms of marketing—is a data-based strategy.
- Learn about your audience
- Consider your skills and data
- Look for inspiration
- Assess your competitors
- Experiment with interactive strategies
- Choose a strategy and create your post
- Assess your results
How to Create an Interactive Post
To create your first interactive post, follow the steps below.
First, you need to determine your audience demographics.
If you don’t already track demographic data, find a demographic analysis tool online or ask!
Assess your KPIs to determine which products or ideas are most popular among your audience.
Use these as your topic ideas.
Then, consider your area of expertise and ensure the two align.
Research the above websites or find your own to seek inspiration.
Many brands have invented their types of interactive content that you can use on your platform.
Remember to distinguish your content from that of competitors.
Peruse your competitors’ websites or accounts to determine what works and doesn’t.
Experimentation is essential to successful content creation and allows you to determine potential engagement.
For example, you may decide to publish a calculator and find that you need more technical skills to do so.
Choose the interactive content you like best and create your post.
You may need third-party software to create graphics or calculators while creating surveys is easy with websites like SurveyMonkey.
It’s time to launch your post.
When you do so, be sure to caption appropriately, encourage your audience to comment or engage, and assess performance.
No marketing cycle is complete without data analysis!
Determine your post’s popularity, audience demographics, and more to make informed decisions on your next interactive post.
Best Practices for Interactive Posts
Before you begin, consider the best practices for creating interactive posts that lead to high engagement.
1. Prioritize Reader Engagement
The entire purpose of interactive posting is to boost reader engagement.
To that end, you should prioritize your audience’s interests and ensure that your post qualifies as interactive.
Audiences are more likely to respond to posts that capitalize on their interests and values, so design yours with this in mind.
2. Include Visual Elements
Even if your interactive content is a survey or poll, ensure that you include visual content with publication.
Visual elements are more likely to attract readers and viewers, ensuring they stick around long enough to engage with your post.
Your post should reflect a balance between text and multimedia content.
3. Personalize and Diversify
The best interactive posts are those that appeal to your audience.
Consider personalizing posts to reflect your readers’ attributes, use conversational language and a positive tone, and ensure that your post is available across different platforms and devices to reach the widest audience.
Interactive Post Tools to Save Time and Money
Many content creators rely on third-party software and design tools to save time and money on their interactive posts.
The tools below are popular among successful content creators.
What is an Interactive Post Tool?
An interactive post tool is a software service or website that allows you to create interactive posts.
For example, you may already use a GIF generator or graphics software for your brand or business – these count as interactive post tools.
The best interactive post tools are low-cost and adaptive to different purposes.
Our Favorite Interactive Post Tools
Our favorite interactive content tools are the following.
1. Graphic Design Software
Graphic design software refers to services and products that allow you to create compelling visuals like infographics, animations, or images.
Many different software systems are available, so research carefully before investing.
Choose graphic design software that fits your needs and your budget.
2. Drawing Software
Consider using drawing software if you choose to produce animations, drawings, or other visual content.
Many different software services are available that allow you to draw pictures, modify photographs, create videos and animations, or add text to pre-existing images.
Additionally, drawing software can add a picture to your text-based interactive post.
3. Infographic Maker
Infographics are among the most popular type of interactive content—for a good reason.
Infographics allow your audience to visualize data and engage with valuable information.
Use infographic makers and software to create compelling visuals and make your data come alive.
Other Related Content Types to Check Out
There are many content strategies available to digital publishers and brands.
Consider the following articles on related content types for your brand or business.
- Listicles: Buzzfeed popularized the “listicle” genre – and these visually pleasing, organized list articles are here to stay Consider using listicles on your blog, social media platform, or website to engage your readers.
- Ultimate Guides: You have probably read hundreds – or thousands – of ultimate guides on this website or another. Ultimate guides work to draw your audience to your site and establish your credibility within your industry.
- User-Generated Content: User-generated content is produced by an individual creator rather than a major brand. This includes images, videos, text, and audio on social media platforms, forums, blogs, and wikis.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that you have all the information you need to create your interactive post consider the following frequently asked questions to clear up any misconceptions.
Interactive content works differently on social media, but interactive social media posts can include graphics, videos, polls, mini-quizzes, and more.
To adapt your interactive post to social media, consider creating graphics for your content and attaching links to your bio or account so users can easily travel to the post.
What are some engaging post ideas?
Engaging, interactive posts typically include multiple elements like visuals, text, audio, and more.
For example, you could create an interactive infographic that generates a map, like The New York Times.
Alternatively, engaging posts typically solicit valuable information from audiences, so consider a burning question you want your audience to answer.
Interactive posts are among the most popular content on media platforms.
Whether you are a beginner or a veteran interactive poster, use the tips and tricks in this guide to facilitate your content creation.
Ultimately, you will learn only through practice, experimentation, and data analysis.
As long as you keep trying out different interactive content types, you’ll find the right one.