Regardless of the sport you follow, it is fun to get analysis from insiders and experts.
They can provide extra context you might not receive from the games, or it might be an analysis of the games, or they could discuss potential trades, signings, and coaching changes.
However, it can be challenging to determine which sports podcasts are best. Here we will recommend 15 sports podcasts for you to try.
- The Best Sports Podcasts (Examples)
- What Is a Sports Podcast?
- What Is Included on a Sports Podcast?
- Types of Sports Podcasts
- Best Sports Podcasts: 15 Examples
- Similar Podcasts Types to Check Out
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
The Best Sports Podcasts (Examples)
We’ve included an overview of our top picks below. For detailed information on each pick, scroll down.
Most Popular Sports Podcasts
Funny Sports Podcasts
Top-Rated Sports Podcasts On Spotify
What Is a Sports Podcast?
A sports podcast is a long-form audio program available for download in digital form. Podcasts are usually at least 30 minutes long, but many exceed an hour.
Sports podcasts cover various topics, including history, analysis, and news. Some have a serious tone with familiar host faces, while others are comedic with unknown hosts.
What Does a Sports Podcaster Talk About?
While the sports podcast topics may vary, you can usually expect them to discuss recent news.
They might focus on recent games, especially if the podcast gears toward a specific team rather than the sport as a whole. Recently, they often include sections on sports betting.
However, there are other topics sports podcasts can cover, including history. Some podcast hosts prefer to talk about the game’s history, teaching listeners about past events.
What Is Included on a Sports Podcast?
Sports podcasts can cover a wide variety of topics, including a discussion of the news, history, betting, or a deep analysis. Each podcast is unique, so there is something for everyone.
With that in mind, knowing what to look for before choosing a podcast is crucial.
Other Things That You Can Find On a Sports Podcast
Here are some of the most common topics podcasters discuss on their shows.
- News: The most common topic for podcasters to discuss is the news. They will talk about the recent slate of games, trades, signings, coaching changes, and more. Depending on the podcast, they might focus on the entire league or a single team.
- Sports Betting: Sports betting has always been a topic of conversation in the sports world, but it is growing exponentially. Some podcast hosts discuss sports betting naturally, whereas others have sponsored segments.
- Interviews: Depending on the prestige of the podcast hosts, they might be able to have famous guests on their shows. Often, the most popular podcasts interview players, coaches, managers, and other media members.
- Game Analysis: If you are looking to learn about a sport, you should look for a game analysis podcast. They discuss the ins and outs of specific plays and games. Listening to these podcasts is a great way to gain a deeper understanding of the sport.
Types of Sports Podcasts
There are several types of sports podcasts because blogging about sports is a very competitive niche. As a result, it is not realistic to discuss every type of podcast available to you.
So, we want to discuss three types of sports podcasts you can look for online.
- Most Popular Sports Podcasts: The most popular sports podcasts typically receive the most views. Often, they include familiar faces from TV like Stephen A. Smith or Skip Bayless. The hosts are almost always part of massive media companies.
- Funny Sports Podcasts: These podcasts do not talk about the world of sports seriously. They will usually discuss the news but joke about current events and funny incidents from games. It is common for the hosts of these podcasts to be stand-up comedians.
- Top-Rated Sports Podcasts on Spotify: Podcasts are available on several online platforms. Spotify is the platform available to most people, so it is crucial to look at the top-rated podcasts. It is essential to note that being top-rated does not mean it has the most views. These podcasts receive the highest ratings from their listeners, even if they get fewer clicks every episode.
Best Sports Podcasts: 15 Examples
Here we will look at 15 of the top sports podcasts you can find online.
How Many Sports Podcasts Are There?
There are too many sports podcasts to get a precise number, but we can approximate based on the numbers.
At the end of 2020, there were over 39,000 sports podcasts on the Apple Podcasts platform.
However, that number was likely higher because some podcasters ignored the sports category, instead using the category for their specific sport.
This baseline number of 39,000 has also likely increased drastically in the two years since 2020.
Most Popular Sports Podcasts
Let’s look at the most popular sports podcasts; these are available on almost all podcast platforms and receive many listens for each episode.
Pardon My Take
Pardon My Take is a long-time #1 podcast on Apple Podcasts. Big Cat and PFT Commenter are the hosts and claim to have the most correct takes in the industry. They release podcasts several times a week and discuss daily topics.
Additionally, they have guests to give insight into the inside of the industry. They mostly focus on football but also delve into basketball and other American sports.
The Bill Simmons Podcast
Bill Simmons, the CEO and owner of The Ringer podcast network, hosts The Bill Simmons Podcast.
It is the most downloaded sports podcast of all time and has a rotating guest list that includes celebrities, athletes, and media personalities. Bill Simmons discusses football, basketball, and more with his co-hosts.
New Heights with Jason and Travis Kelce
Jason and Travis Kelce are professional football players and brothers hosting one of the world’s newest and fastest-growing sports podcasts.
Jason plays for the Philadelphia Eagles, and Travis for the Kansas City Chiefs. As a result of their connections, they have some of the best guests on discuss everything in the football world.
Club Shay Shay
Every week, Shannon Sharpe, a three-time Super Bowl Champion, Hall of Famer, and co-host on Undisputed, hosts Club Shay Shay.
On his show, he sits with celebrities, athletes, and influencers to discuss the biggest headlines in sports and pop culture.
The Pat McAfee Show 2.0
Pat McAfee reboots his original podcast with The Pat McAfee Show 2.0. A veteran of the NFL, he brings fresh takes to listeners’ ears.
He is known for speaking his mind and giving hot takes. He provides incredible insights, tells great stories, and has an amazing sense of humor.
Funny Sports Podcasts
Next, we want to examine some of the funniest sports podcasts you can listen to.
Monday Morning Podcast
The host of The Monday Morning Podcast is one of the most famous comedians in the world, Bill Burr.
Burr is famous for being a massive Boston sports fan. So, he frequently shares his opinions on the Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots. He also gives relationship advice and discusses pop culture.
Comedians Playing Fantasy Premier League
This podcast is different from what you would expect. They spend lots of time discussing fantasy sports, including their Fantasy Premier League. They also discuss hilarious talks like who has the smelliest farts on Team England.
The Cam & Strick Podcast
This podcast, hosted by NHL veteran Cam Janssen and NHL insider Andy Strickland, covers the latest news in the NHL.
The comedy comes out when they discuss stories from inside the dressing room, and they discuss funny stories, experiences, and more.
HotBoxin with Mike Tyson
Mike Tyson is a man who needs no introduction. One of the greatest boxers of all time, he now hosts a podcast.
He talks with celebrities and athletes about sports while in a studio full of smoke. It is not hard to imagine how comedy comes out.
Titus & Tate
The final comedy sports podcast we want to recommend is Titus & Tate. Hosted by Mark Titus and Tate Frazier, they discuss mysteries and conspiracy theories in the basketball world.
Top-Rated Sports Podcasts On Spotify
Finally, we want to look at five top-rated sports podcasts on Spotify.
Nobody Asked Us with Des & Kara
Former Olympic teammates Des Linden and Kara Goucher give their hot takes on running and life. They provide insight into how professional distance runners train, compete and get into the competitive mindset.
The Ryan Russillo Podcast
Every week, Ryan Russillo discusses the biggest topics in sports. Although he mostly focuses on popular American sports like Football and Basketball, he is open to discussing global sports.
Bussin’ With The Boys
NFL players Will Compton and Taylor Lewan work with Barstool Sports to produce Bussin’ With The Boys. They bring incredible energy while discussing the NFL and its biggest stories.
The Lowe Post
Zach Lowe is a lead analyst with ESPN and hosts The Lowe Post. He discusses inside information he receives from GMs, coaches, and other members of NBA teams. His insight into the NBA is original and profound.
Skip and Shannon: Undisputed
Every day, Monday through Friday, Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe debate the biggest news in football and basketball. Things get heated between the two friends, so it is no surprise it is the top-rated debate show in America.
Similar Podcasts Types to Check Out
Sports are not the only topics discussed on topics. Here are a few other types of podcasts you can listen to on podcast platforms.
- NBA Podcasts: Not all NBA podcasts can be found in the sports category. So, check out the NBA podcasts section to find niche podcasts about basketball.
- Gaming Podcasts: Sports fans are often fans of gaming. So, if it interests you, do not hesitate to explore the top gaming podcasts.
- Fishing Podcasts: Finally, if you want something different, you can listen to fishing podcasts. There are more options than you would expect for this niche topic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Before we wrap up, we want to answer some questions you might still have.
What Is the #1 Sports Podcast?
Pardon My Take is the #1 sports podcast on Apple Podcasts, whereas New Heights with Jason and Travis Kelce is the #1 sports podcast on Spotify.
Is talkSPORT a Podcast?
talkSPORT airs on the radio, but it is released as a podcast. You can find it on all popular podcast platforms. The podcast mostly discusses soccer and the Premier League but sometimes branches out.
Sports podcasts are more popular than ever, but with so many out there, it can be challenging to find high-quality podcasts with content that interests you.
This list of 15 sports podcasts is sure to have something you’ll enjoy, regardless of your favorite sport.