WordPress is one of the most popular website development frameworks in use today.
Its popularity makes it a common target for hackers.
A hacked WordPress site can mean lost revenue, stolen customer data, and a damaged reputation.
That’s why it’s important to use a WordPress security plugin to help protect your site.
In this article, we will discuss what a WP security plugin is, why you should use one, and the features to look for when selecting your favorite.
We will then provide a detailed review of the 12 best WordPress security plugins.
As we do, we’ll reveal why we select Securi as our favorite security plugin.
- Best WordPress Security Plugins for 2023 (Overview)
- An Overview of WordPress Security Plugins
- Best WordPress Security Plugins for 2023
- How Do Security Plugins Work on WordPress?
- Common Attacks That WordPress Security Plugins Prevent
- Features To Look For in a WordPress Security Plugin
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
Best WordPress Security Plugins for 2023 (Overview)
We’ve included an overview of our top picks below. For detailed information on each pick, scroll down.
- iThemes Security Pro
- Wordfence Security
- All In One WP Security & Firewall
- BulletProof Security
- Security Ninja
- Astra Security
- Google Authenticator
- WP Cerber Security
An Overview of WordPress Security Plugins
It’s important to know what a WordPress security plugin is and why you need one so that you can choose the right one for your website.
What Are WordPress Security Plugins?
WordPress security plugins are applications that assist in the protection of your website from hackers.
They accomplish this by offering secure login, establishing firewall settings, and monitoring site activity.
Selecting a WordPress security plugin that provides the features you want is critical.
For instance, some plugins will only monitor and report on activity, while others will take more proactive steps to block malicious traffic.
Why Are WordPress Security Plugins Important?
A WordPress security plugin can also help improve your website’s performance by blocking hacker bots and reducing the number of requests made to your server.
It can free up resources, so your site loads faster for legitimate visitors.
A WordPress security plugin can help you meet compliance requirements if your website handles sensitive data.
For example, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requires websites to take steps to protect user data.
A WordPress security plugin can help you meet these requirements.
Do I Need WordPress Security Plugins?
For optimal performance, you should consider using a WordPress security plugin.
While no security measure is 100% effective, a WordPress security plugin can help reduce the risk of allowing hackers into your site’s backend.
Even the best managed WordPress hosts, who are known for security, can’t do it all.
We HIGHLY suggest implementing at least one additional layer of protection.
Best WordPress Security Plugins for 2023
Here are our top 12 picks regarding the WP security plugin market.
Securi is one of the most widely used WordPress security plugins.
It provides everything you need to properly safeguard and secure your website against malware, including a file integrity checker, blacklist monitoring tool, and security hardening features.
One of Sucuri’s most distinctive features is its blacklist monitoring and remote malware removal.
If your website suffers a compromise, Sucuri will remove the virus and provide monitoring to make sure you don’t experience the problem again.
- Activity audit log: A feature that allows you to keep track of all activity on your website, which can help with detecting and eradicating suspicious behavior.
- Firewall: Sucuri’s firewall is one of the most protective.
It utilizes several methods to secure your website against assaults, including blacklist monitoring, rate limiting, heuristics, and IP reputation monitoring.
- Post-cleanup report: The report provides you with a detailed account of the changes made to your website so that you can avoid future attacks by taking the necessary precautions.
- 24/7 security: Sucuri offers around-the-clock security for your website so you can sleep soundly at night, knowing your site is well-protected.
- Increases website speed automatically: One of the benefits of Sucuri’s security hardening is boosting your website’s speed performance.
The company reports that using its CDN will result in a 70% speed increase.
- Avoids attacks and hacks: The Sucuri protection system prevents intruders from gaining access to website files.
- Detects vulnerabilities in security: Sucuri’s scan is effective at detecting security flaws on your website, allowing you to repair them before data becomes malicious.
- Removes malware: Sucuri is one of the most rapid malware removers.
It will notify you as soon as it detects anything and then takes care of the adjustment for you.
- Outdated website monitoring: It will often continue reporting on websites you asked it to eliminate from its monitoring activity.
- Admin IP address blocking: If your admin IP gets blocked by the firewall, you may have to whitelist it to continue working, which can be frustrating.
- Cache troubleshooting issues: To view the most recent version of the site, you may need to clear the cache.
Is Sucuri Hard to Use?
Sucuri is a simple program to operate.
The interface is easy to understand.
The plugin takes care of the majority of the work.
So you shouldn’t have any issues operating the backend.
Pricing & Plans:
Select from these four Securi plan options.
- Basic Platform: $199.99 per year
- Pro Platform: $299.99 per year
- Business Platform: $499.99 per year
- Multi-site & custom plans: Request pricing from sales
Sucuri is a well-known WordPress security plugin.
It provides a wide range of solutions to help you secure and defend your website from assaults.
The software is simple to use, with an easy-to-understand dashboard.
We strongly advise that you give this security plugin serious consideration
iThemes Security Pro
iThemes Security Pro offers a comprehensive suite of features to help you secure your website.
Its most noteworthy feature is its malware scanner, which can detect and remove malicious code from your site.
Protection from malware
- Two-factor authentication: It adds an extra layer of security to your login process by requiring a second form of identification.
- Brute force protection: It blocks hackers who try to gain access to your site by guessing passwords.
- Firewall: Blocks malicious traffic before it reaches your website.
- Detects malware: The malware scanner detects and removes malicious code from your website.
- SSL encryption: The plugin encrypts data sent between your website and visitors’ browsers to prevent eavesdropping
- Strengthens user credentials: Important security precautions reduce the likelihood that a hacker can exploit a user account.
- Reduces spam: Bots attempt to access your website through stolen passwords or scraped content. Using reCAPTCHA, iThemes Security Pro can tell the difference between bots and humans.
- Vulnerable theme scans: The plugin runs a scan of your site for known vulnerabilities and applies any available patches immediately.
- Might break your site: Conduct a backup of your website before installing this plugin.
- Doesn’t recognize all attacks: Some hacker threats exist that iThemes Security Pro may miss.
- Host conflicts: iThemes Security Pro doesn’t always play nice with some web hosting providers, especially those that offer low-RAM or VPS.
Is iThemes Security Pro Hard to Use?
No, iThemes Security Pro is not hard to use.
The interface is user-friendly and easy to navigate.
Pricing & Plans:
iThemes Security Pro has three plan options.
- Basic: $80 per year
- Plus: $127 per year
- Agency: $199 per year
iThemes Security Pro is a comprehensive security plugin that offers a wide range of features to secure your website.
The plugin is easy to use, with a user-friendly interface.
We highly recommend this plugin.
Jetpack is a WordPress security plugin that offers multiple features to keep your website secure.
For example, it includes DDoS protection, brute force protection, malware scanning, and two-factor authentication.
With Jetpack activated on your site, you can relax knowing that it is less likely to see problems from hackers.
Protection from brute force attacks
- Two-factor authentication: By utilizing two-factor authentication, you strengthen your login process and make it more difficult for hackers to understand password information.
- Activity log: Users visit your site, and this feature keeps track of changes made to it.
It helps detect fraudulent behavior or determine who modified your site.
- Outdated plugins: it’s important to regularly delete all insecure and outdated plugins from your WordPress site to reduce the chances of hackers gaining access to files.
- Downtime monitoring: The plugin notifies you immediately if your site ever crashes or experiences any downtime.
- Protection against brute force attacks: The plugin will protect your WordPress site against brute-force assaults by bot and hacker IP addresses.
If an intruder obtains access to your website, the plugin will immediately terminate them and tell you about it.
- Automatically clear spam: Spam comments can cause your site to slow down.
Use Jetpack to get rid of any that may exist in the background.
It will prevent your site from becoming sluggish.
- Automated scanning of malware: 24/7 protection against malware is crucial, and with this plugin, you won’t have to worry about a thing.
It automatically scans your site for any malicious activity and attempts to fix the issue promptly.
- Real-time backup features: Keeping current backups on your website’s server is an essential component of website security.
Each day, the plugin copies your site and stores it off-site.
- Sometimes blocks admin access: If you’re not careful, this plugin could exclude you from your WordPress website.
If you find yourself trying to access your site without being able to gain the proper permissions, it can become quite frustrating.
- Website miscommunication: The plugin may be unable to communicate with your WP site in some situations.
This might be due to a misconfigured version of WordPress, as well as a plugin incompatibility.
- Resource-heaviness: It’s a big plugin, and the fact that it’s so extensive means it may consume resources.
If your website is already sluggish, installing this component may not be the best option.
Is Jetpack Hard to Use?
Jetpack is not difficult to use, and beginner or experienced webmasters will have no problem navigating the plugin’s interface.
Pricing & Plans:
Jetpack offers two basic security plans.
- 10GB backup plan: $10.95 per month (on an annual plan)
- 1TB backup plan: $24.95 per month (on an annual plan)
Jetpack Security is a good alternative for those looking for an all-in-one solution to their website security concerns.
Give it a go on your site to see how well it works.
WordPress plugin Wordfence Security is one of the most popular security plugins.
It gives you a free software option with several features to help secure your website.
You may upgrade to one of Wordfence’s paid premium services to access additional features.
Furthermore, Wordfence Security offers a Premium Support Plan that allows you to contact their team of specialists if you need specialized help.
Best top-line security
- Recovery from security incidents: By restoring your website to a previous version, you may quickly recover from a hack.
If a hacker manages to get access to your dashboard, you’ll benefit from this function to regain access.
- Two-factor authentication: Here’s a useful function that adds another level of protection to your login procedure by requiring you to enter a code delivered to your phone.
Hackers without access to your phone simply can’t get into your website.
- Scanning for malware: To use this tool, visit your website and scan it for malware and infected files. Wordfence will remove anything that the scan reveals.
- WordPress.org repository comparisons: The plugin scans new files for WordPress updates to check for malicious content.
You will receive a notification if the scan reveals issues with plugins, themes, or core files.
- Brute force attack protection: This plugin will protect your site by eliminating IP addresses that exhibit brute force attack behavior.
- WordPress integration: Because this plugin works seamlessly with WordPress, you won’t have to worry about compatibility issues.
- Firewall updates: The firewall operates in real-time. It is always kept updated with the latest information on Internet threats.
With new dangers cropping up daily, it’s essential to have a security system in place that can deal with them quickly and efficiently.
- Malicious traffic blocking features: Protects your site by stopping any recognized malicious bots attempting to access it.
By using this plugin, you can keep updated hacker bots from causing damage or slowing down your website.
- Poor coding: Some expert coders may not like the coding that exists in the background of the Wordfence Security plugin.
- Website slowdowns: Because the plugin constantly runs scans and checks, it can sometimes slow down your site.
- WordPress functionality interruptions: In isolated cases, the plugin may use an outdated firewall rule that doesn’t allow your two-factor authentication code to work correctly.
Is Wordfence Security Hard to Use?
If you’re not tech-savvy, don’t worry.
You can still use Wordfence Security with ease.
The plugin offers simplicity and will guide you through each step of the process.
Pricing & Plans:
You’re able to start using Wordfence Security without charge, and then you have the option of upgrading to one of its three paid plans.
- Wordfence Free: $0
- Wordfence Premium: $99 per year
- Wordfence Care: $490 per year
- Wordfence Response: $950 per year
Wordfence is a comprehensive security plugin for WordPress that’s easy to use and offers an extensive array of features.
Although the plugin might sometimes interfere with some WordPress functions or slow down your site, it remains a solid choice for those seeking an all-encompassing security solution.
All In One WP Security & Firewall
If you are a website owner using WordPress, All In One WP Security & Firewall is the perfect plugin for you.
It provides comprehensive security features such as user account security, firewall protection, malware scan, and much more.
You won’t need any other security plugins with this one installed.
Strengthening password protection
- Account security: With this software, you can set up strong passwords for user accounts.
It keeps the account secure by keeping hackers out after they try several times to gain access.
- Blacklisting bad IPs: Blacklist any IP address that you choose.
It’s a good idea to use it to keep harmful hackers from accessing your website.
- File change detection: It watches for changes in your files.
The software will notify you if someone attempts to modify the documents on your website.
- Logged-in user list: With this system, you can view a list of all currently logged-in users and take prompt action if the feature detects any sketchy behavior.
- Brute force login attack protection: The plugin protects your site against brute-force login assaults by restricting IP addresses that try to access with an incorrect password many times.
- Blocks user enumeration: Hackers go through a process of determining which user accounts exist on a WordPress site. They call this process user enumeration.
The plugin protects you from these cyber criminals.
- Password strength: The plugin includes a password strength tool to test the robustness of your passwords.
Use this function to ensure your passwords remain secure enough to protect against hackers.
- Detecting hacker-generated user accounts: If hackers manage to create user accounts on your WordPress site without you knowing, use this feature to eliminate them.
It will help you determine which of your user accounts have default admin usernames and take appropriate action.
- Would benefit from additional features: The plugin doesn’t offer new features as often as some users would prefer.
- Inaccurate web space settings: If this area is not improved, the plugin includes the potential to leave malicious files undetected on your site.
- Website lockouts: You could get locked out of your website if you lose your phone and can’t access the two-factor authentication code.
Is All In One WP Security & Firewall Hard to Use?
It’s not difficult to use, but it does need some WordPress security expertise.
If you’re unfamiliar with this area of WP, the plugin’s capabilities might seem daunting.
However, you can use the provided documentation to get up to speed.
Pricing & Plans:
You can try the free plan and then upgrade later.
- Free version: $0
- Pro version: $59 per year
If you’re a website owner looking for comprehensive security, All In One WP Security & Firewall is the plugin for you.
It includes user malware scanning, password protection, account security, and more.
The BulletProof Security plugin is an excellent WordPress security measure, providing both free and premium plans.
The free option features include database backups and malware scanning.
Upgrade to the premium plan to access features like one-click malware removal and real-time monitoring.
Accurate monitoring of files
- Security logging: The plugin records all security-related events.
It aids in the detection of any questionable activity on your WP website.
- Database backups: Backing up your WordPress database helps with quickly restoring it to the original versions if someone hacks into it.
- Scanning for malware: You receive a malware scanner that checks your WordPress files and database for harmful code.
It is an effective way to prevent your WordPress website from experiencing hacks.
- Anti-exploit uploads guard: You may install malicious code as you upload images and other files to WordPress.
Use this feature from the plugin to gain protection from unknowingly letting bad code into your backend.
- Comprehensive system information: Obtaining access to extensive system data can assist when you need to troubleshoot any challenges in WordPress.
- Monitor in real-time: The plugin gives you a real-time file monitoring feature.
It will scan your WP files for changes and notify you if anything unusual occurs.
- One-click setup: The plugin is easy to set up with its one-click setup wizard.
You can get started immediately without reading long written instructions.
- Use strong passwords: BulletProof Security will help you use secure password processes.
Using this type of security software is a good idea to avoid hacker assaults.
- Auto-cleanups are not available: If you’re hacked, cleaning up your website requires a manual process. Unfortunately, you won’t have access to a built-in auto-cleanup function with BulletProof Security.
- Bugs that pop up: Although the BulletProof Security plugin has had some reports of glitches, the company typically patches the fix during the next update.
- Clone sites exist: You might inadvertently download a phony version of the BulletProof Security plugin from a malicious site.
Only download plugins from reputable sources.
Is BulletProof Security Hard to Use?
No, the BulletProof Security plugin is not difficult to use.
The installation wizard makes it simple to get started.
Documentation exists to help you overcome any potential issues as well.
Pricing & Plans:
You can try the plugin for free before upgrading.
- Free download: $0
- Upgrade to $69.95 (one-time fee), which gives you unlimited free website upgrades
If you’re looking for a quality security plugin that’s easy to use, BulletProof Security is a nice selection.
It includes features such as real-time monitoring and malware scanning, and it’s free to try.
With just a few clicks, SecuPress provides complete protection against all WordPress security threats.
The plugin gives you plenty of flexibility with its variety of plans and pricing options.
Overall, it is one of the finest WordPress security plugins you can use.
- Security notifications: With this security feature, you’ll become aware of any issues as soon as they arise so that you can fix them immediately.
You will see alerts via email or on the WordPress dashboard and then can use the two-factor authentication process to log in and keep your site safe.
- Firewall: The firewall prevents cybercriminals from attacking your site by cutting off their access.
Use it to protect against SQL injection attempts and other kinds of attacks.
- Health scanning: By using this feature, you can scan your site for any potential hack attempts.
If the scanner finds any issues, it will give you recommendations on how to fix them.
- Website accessibility: The plugin ensures that your site is always accessible, even if it’s going through an attack by a hacker.
- Website reputation protection: If you don’t keep your website secure, search engines could blacklist it. It occurs if hackers successfully insert malicious code into your site.
- Security corrections: The plugin works in the background to detect possible security concerns and give you suggestions on how to address them.
- Saved data protection: If someone hacks into your site’s data, SecuPress will support you in recovering it. Use this option to formulate backups and reinstate data when necessary.
- Hacking blocks: One of the most basic security requirements is to keep hackers out of your site.
The firewall of the plugin prevents most attempts to violate site files.
- Doesn’t offer a free version: The plugin offers a 14-day money-back guarantee, though you’ll need to pay upfront for any of its plans.
- Lack of support: Some customers express concern when they can’t promptly get through to support.
- Regular updates aren’t available: The plugin does not receive as many updates as some of its competitors, but it does get them on a fairly regular basis.
The issue may put users who do not keep their WordPress installation up to date at risk for security breaches.
Is SecuPress Hard to Use?
The SecuPress plugin is easy to use.
It provides a dashboard with a user-friendly interface.
When compared to other WordPress security plugins, SecuPress offers one of the easier solutions to use overall.
Pricing & Plans:
SecuPress gives you a selection of seven pricing plans.
- One site: $69.99 per year per site
- Five sites: $28.32 per year per site
- Ten sites: $21.24 per year per site
- 25 sites: $13.22 per year per site
- 50 sites: $11.33 per year per site
- 100 sites: $9.20 per year per site
- 200 sites: $5.78 per year per site
SecuPress represents a good option.
It’s straightforward to use and comes with a variety of features.
However, it offers questionable customer service.
Furthermore, the plugin does not have a free version.
Despite these flaws, we still think that SecuPress is worth considering if you’re searching for a WordPress security plugin.
WPScan is an open-source WordPress vulnerability scanner you can use to scan websites for known vulnerabilities.
WPScan is a quality tool for anyone who wants to keep their website safe and secure.
- WPScan vulnerability database: Updated daily, this is a comprehensive database of WordPress security flaws.
- Detects theme and plugin vulnerabilities: In addition to finding WordPress core vulnerabilities, WPScan can also scan for themes and plugins with known security issues.
- Brute-force attacks: The plugin checks for weak passwords that might become brute force attack vulnerabilities.
- Free: WPScan is open-source software, which means it’s free to use.
- Gutenberg protection: The plugin scans for any problems inside your Gutenberg site-building dashboard.
- Stats: WPScan will show you statistics about monthly vulnerabilities discovered each month.
- Plenty of contributors: More than 25 contributors manually enter new vulnerabilities into the WPScan system each month.
- Open source: Anyone can view the WPScan source code.
- Non-commercial use: The plugin restricts its usage to non-commercial websites.
- Password attacks require tech skills: It’s more difficult to scan for username vulnerabilities with WPScan than with other options.
- Firewall code required: If your website already runs with a firewall, you’ll need to use a command to overcome it.
Is WPScan Hard to Use?
The plugin is a little difficult to use if you’re not familiar with the WordPress interface.
Also, some of the features require you to know how to code in HTML and CSS.
Pricing & Plans:
You can use the software for free unless you need enterprise options.
Contact the sales team for enterprise plan quotes.
The software is free to use, which makes it an option for small businesses and website owners on a budget.
However, some of the features require you to have coding skills.
If you don’t have coding skills, we recommend that you find another security plugin.
Security Ninja is a popular WordPress security plugin with over 9,000 active installations.
It will check for over 50 security issues on your website and provide you with a report of any vulnerabilities.
The plugin also has a “malware scanner” feature that will check for malicious code in your files.
If it finds any, it will quarantine them so they can’t do any damage to your site.
- Schedule scans: The plugin will automatically scan your site for vulnerabilities regularly.
You’ll never need to manually check your WP website for issues.
The core scanner tests the code of all core WordPress files.
- File integrity checker: You can set this feature to monitor your files for changes and alert you when the file integrity checker finds them.
It is useful for detecting if someone hacked your site and made changes to your files without your knowledge.
- Security firewall: Use the firewall’s settings to block malicious requests to your website.
It can help prevent attacks before they even reach your site.
- Events logger: The plugin keeps a log of all events that occur on your website.
It comes in handy when you need to track down the source of any security issues.
- Affordability: You won’t break the bank when using Security Ninja.
You can buy an annual license for one website for under $50.
- Debug tests: Security Ninja includes a debug test feature to help you troubleshoot any issues you’re having with the plugin.
- Provides “fix” instructions: After running a scan and detecting website threats, Security Ninja provides you with a list of instructions on how to fix each issue.
It won’t affect any code until you specifically tell it to run the fix sequence.
- Annual support and updates: Each annual license purchased gives you access to one year of support and updates for the plugin.
New security threats appear constantly.
It’s good to receive these new threats in real-time and to have access to customer support if you become confused.
- Doesn’t detect all issues: The plugin doesn’t always catch everything.
It doesn’t provide you with a bulletproof shield against all threats.
You may need to supplement it with another security measure.
- Reports can seem overwhelming: Security Ninja often generates long and confusing reports.
It takes some time to sift through all the information to find the issue you’re looking for.
- File permissions tests: The plugin tests can lock you out of your website if you’re not careful.
You need to know what you’re doing before changing file permissions.
Is Security Ninja Hard to Use?
No, the plugin isn’t difficult to put into use.
It provides you with a relatively intuitive dashboard.
You should get used to it in no time.
Pricing & Plans:
You can choose from the four Security Ninja pricing plans offered by the plugin.
- Starter: $39.99 per year (when paid annually)
- Plus: $99.99 per year (when paid annually)
- Pro: $149.99 per year (when paid annually)
- Agency: $199.99 per year (when paid annually)
If you want an affordable and easy-to-use security plugin, Security Ninja works well.
It’s not perfect, but it will get the job done for most people.
Supplement it with another security measure if you’re worried about threats getting past its defenses.
With Astra Security, you get everything you need in a security plugin and more.
It’s an all-in-one solution that provides complete website security, including malware removal, a firewall, and vulnerability scanning.
Astra Security is one of the few plugins that offer extra features for larger organizations that require robust enterprise options.
Automated malware removal
- IP and country blocking: This feature allows you to block traffic from specific IP addresses or countries. Easily tell the system to add exception rules to the blacklist for specified variables.
- Vulnerability scanning: Astra will scan your website for known vulnerabilities and provide a report so that you can fix them.
Use this feature to stay on top of new security threats that pop up every month.
- Web Application Firewall (WAF): The WAF will protect your website against common attacks, such as SQL injection and cross-site scripting (XSS).
- Spam Blocking: Astra’s sophisticated spam blocking helps you avoid bots that create spam accounts on your site or spam comments.
Spam will bloat your site and slow it down.
Use this option to speed things up again.
- Threat Analytics: The dashboard allows you to monitor your website security with ease and provides critical information on the threats stopped by Astra.
With this data, you can quickly adapt your security strategy.
- Attacker Profiling: Fight back against hacker assaults with this easy-to-use and secure tool.
Use it to see the attacker’s profile, which includes information like their IP address, browser, and country of origin.
Take simple precautions right away.
- Bad Bot Protection: Astra protects your site against harmful bots like spam bots, ad bots, and data scrapers. It does this by utilizing user agents.
- Not as much documentation: Astra doesn’t have as much written documentation as some of the other plugins on this list.
However, they do have an extensive FAQ section that covers most topics.
- Annoying chat box: Even after you close the chat box in your account, it keeps popping up when you don’t need it.
- Won’t catch all malware: Like some other security plugins, Astra can’t catch everything.
Is Astra Security Hard to Use?
You won’t find it hard to use Astra Security.
It offers a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate.
Pricing & Plans:
Select from one of three Astra Security plans.
- Pro: $25 per month
- Advanced: $79 per month
- Business: $199 per month
Astra Security is a comprehensive security solution that offers features for both small businesses and enterprises.
We like the fact that it includes a web application firewall and vulnerability scanning.
However, you might want to look elsewhere due to the lack of written documentation.
It’s an overall solid solution to try.
The Google Authenticator is a popular two-factor authentication software.
It employs your phone as another line of protection in the form of a two-step verification system.
You may configure it to require both a password and the app’s code to gain website access.
Google Authenticator is a free and user-friendly security plugin that makes it more complicated for anyone to hack into your account, even if they obtain the website’s password.
Free site security
- Works on multiple sites: You may use the plugin across multiple websites.
It also works for social media when you need to log into Facebook, for example.
- Easy to use: The Google Authenticator app is easy to use, and anyone can set it up in just a few minutes.
- Simplicity: The Google Authenticator is a two-step verification process.
You just need the program on your phone, and you’re good to go.
It typically takes only a few minutes to set up.
- Protects data: The plugin encrypts data, making it inaccessible to third parties.
They also can’t access anything generated by the plugin.
Only the user can read information produced by the program.
- The app: You may access and manage your website using only a mobile phone, thanks to the app.
- Must physically hold the phone: The two-factor authentication process is highly secure.
Only the person with the phone in their physical possession can access the website account.
- Works well on mobile devices: The Google Authenticator app is available on both Android and iOS platforms.
- Simple sign-in: You only need a six-digit code accessed via your phone when logging into your WordPress website.
- You must possess your phone: If you forget your phone, you can’t gain access to your WordPress website.
- It requires an improved secret key: Because the key is too short, it’s conceivable that professional hackers could break through it.
- Improved security measures could lock the admin out: If you lose your phone or uninstall the program, you could remain locked out of your WordPress website thanks to the plugin’s stringent security.
Is Google Authenticator Hard to Use?
Out of all the security plugins available, Google Authenticator is one of the easiest to use.
Pricing & Plans:
The Google Authenticator is always free to use.
It’s available for Android and iOS.
The Google Authenticator is free. Anyone can use it due to its simplistic nature.
It’s an excellent plugin, albeit with one minor inconvenience: losing your phone or deleting the app may lock you out of your site.
Aside from that, it’s a quality plugin that we highly recommend.
WP Cerber Security
WP Cerber Security is yet another comprehensive security plugin with a free version that includes features like spam protection.
The premium version, available for a fee, adds more functionality.
Protection against website spam
- Quick threat response: You may swiftly react to any dangers discovered on your WP site.
You must have a function like this in place so that you can address flaws quickly.
- Activity monitoring: Here is a feature that allows you to monitor everything happening on your site in real-time so that you can take action against any malicious activity.
- Scan for malware: You can scan your website for infected files and malware.
If found, WP Cerber will remove them automatically.
- Delete spam comments: Spam comments not only clog up your website but also slow down the loading speed.
WP Cerber will get rid of them for you so that you don’t have to lift a finger.
- Protects login criteria: WP Cerber guards your registration and password information.
- Anti-spam protection: The plugin’s anti-spam service will keep your spam under control and stop it from overwhelming your website and slowing it down.
- Restricts access to XML-RPC: XML-RPC helps to transfer WordPress files. WP Cerber defends against this kind of danger.
The plugin also secures your APIs as you develop connections with other programs.
- Minimizes code injection attacks: Website attacks try to insert harmful data into your site.
When this happens, hackers may seize control of your entire website. WP Cerber prevents this from happening.
- Third-party plugin conflicts: Like all plugins, WP Cerber may sometimes experience conflicts with other plugins installed on your site.
- Website lockouts: You might experience website lockouts if you make mistakes while setting up the plugin.
- Won’t automatically detect IP addresses to block: The plugin requires you to input the IP addresses that you want it to block. If you’re unsure of which IP addresses to block, this process can take some time.
Is WP Cerber Security Hard to Use?
The plugin works for both beginners and experienced users.
If you’re starting your website building journey, the wizard can guide you into choosing appropriate website security settings.
Pricing & Plans:
Select between three pricing plans offered by WP Cerber.
- Free: $0
- Single site: $29 per quarter
- 5 Value Pack: $39 per month
In short, we recommend WP Cerber Security if you’re seeking a reliable security plugin.
It provides a user-friendly interface and packs plenty of features inside its dashboard.
How Do Security Plugins Work on WordPress?
Most WordPress security plugins appear in the “plugins” section of your WordPress dashboard.
To activate a plugin, you need to click on the “Activate” link.
Once activated, the WordPress security plugin will begin monitoring your website for malicious activity and take steps to protect it.
Common Attacks That WordPress Security Plugins Prevent
Before revealing our top picks, let’s review the types of attacks you can avoid by using an effective security plugin.
1. Brute Force Attacks
A brute force attack is a type of hacking where a hacker uses automated software to try to guess your password.
If the software guesses correctly, the hacker can then take over your account and wreak havoc on your website.
2. Login Vulnerabilities
Another common vulnerability is weak login credentials.
Hackers use commonly used passwords or easily guessed passwords to try to gain access to your website.
Malware is a type of malicious software that can infect your website and wreak havoc.
It can steal sensitive data, delete files, and even take over your entire website.
4. Bot Spam
Hackers use automated bots to spam your website with comments or form submissions.
It can slow down your website and make it difficult for legitimate users to interact with your site.
5. WordPress Vulnerabilities
Many vulnerabilities exist in WordPress, so it’s essential to use a WordPress security plugin.
For instance, a plugin can help you patch vulnerabilities and keep your WordPress installation up-to-date.
6. Preventative Measures
While WP security plugins help with many other website attacks, they also help in preventative ways.
For example, you can use these plugins to help with the following.
- Automatically use strong passwords
- Use two-factor authentication
- Keep your WordPress version up to date
- Keep themes up to date
Features To Look For in a WordPress Security Plugin
Before deciding on a WordPress security plugin, we want to ensure you’re well-informed.
So here are the most important characteristics to look for.
When looking for a WordPress security plugin, the first thing you should consider is its features.
Does the plugin have everything you need to keep your website safe?
Some of the must-have features include malware removal, two-factor authentication, and firewall protection.
Two-factor authentication is one reason we like the Google Authenticator so much.
Firewall protection makes All In One WP Security & Firewall or Securi quality selections.
2. Background in the Security Industry
It’s important to choose a WordPress security plugin that comes from a company with a background in the security industry.
You want to know that they understand what they’re doing and that their plugin remains up to date with the latest security threats.
3. Customer Support
If something goes wrong with your website, it’s crucial to have access to customer support that can help you fix the problem.
Make sure the plugin you choose offers quality customer support.
Wordfence, for instance, will answer customer concerns quickly.
While it’s a key factor to find a WordPress security plugin that fits your budget, don’t sacrifice quality for the price.
It’s worth spending a little extra to get a plugin that will keep your website safe and secure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you still have questions or concerns about WordPress security plugins?
Here are the answers to two frequently asked questions.
How do I install a WordPress security plugin?
The installation process for a WordPress security plugin varies depending on the plugin you choose.
However, you’ll install most plugins directly from the WordPress dashboard.
Once you’ve found the plugin you want to use, click “Install” and then “Activate.”
How do I make my WordPress site more secure?
In addition to using a WordPress security plugin, there are other steps you can take to make your website more secure.
These include keeping your WordPress software up to date, using strong passwords, and regularly backing up your website.
Securi wins out in our battle of the best WordPress security plugins.
It’s an excellent plugin for removing viruses, malware, and spam.
It also protects your WordPress login page well.
Our runner-up is Wordfence Security.
You can get a lot of mileage out of the free Wordfence option.
When you upgrade to the paid version, its real-time firewall is one of the best in the industry.
Now it’s your turn. Decide which of these 12 WP security plugins you like best.
Then, install it on your WordPress website and enjoy knowing you’re well protected from hackers and spam.