Podcasts are all the rage nowadays.
It seems that no matter where you go or what crowd you run in, somebody is listening to a podcast about something they care about.
But say you’re a woman who cares about women’s issues.
It isn’t easy to find a podcast by searching for “women podcasts.” But fear not, dear reader.
In this article, we’ll break down 15 great podcasts for women.
- The Best Podcasts for Women (Examples)
- What is a Podcast for Women?
- What is Included On a Podcast for Women?
- Types of Podcasts for Women
- Best Podcasts for Women: 15 Examples
- Similar Podcasts Types to Check Out
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
The Best Podcasts for Women (Examples)
We’ve included an overview of our top picks below. For detailed information on each pick, scroll down.
Interesting Podcasts for Women
Funny Podcasts for Women
Motivational Podcasts for Women
What is a Podcast for Women?
In the simplest terms, a podcast for women is any podcast that women listen to.
The term might apply more to podcasts that handle women’s issues.
If you’re a woman, issues like women’s rights, women’s lifestyles, or women’s takes on culture and events are the types of podcasts to listen to.
What Does a Podcast for Women Talk About?
A podcaster who runs a women’s podcast can cover various issues.
A host might discuss women’s lifestyle issues, from romance to body issues.
They might cover feminist political ideas or topics relevant to women in politics.
If the hosts have other identities, they might speak about these experiences.
There might be podcasts that cover the specific experiences of women of color, members of the LGBT community, or disabled women.
What is Included On a Podcast for Women?
It is similar to blogs for women but instead of reading, you’re listening to them.
You listen to everyday conversations between women that cover a wide variety of topics.
Other Things You Can Find on a Podcast for Women
Here are a few key factors every women’s podcast should have.
- Unique feminine perspective: This doesn’t mean it needs to be exclusionary. The category of women includes gender nonconforming women and transgender women. The most important thing is to bring a different perspective.
- Authentic self-expression: The entire point of listening to a women’s podcast is to get some insight into the experience of being a woman. This means there is nothing worse than being fake. For that reason, it’s always best when hosts bring themselves as they are.
- Inclusivity: Of course, making a podcast for women aims for inclusivity. But even more than that, it should bring in the experiences of several women from different economic backgrounds, identity groups, and walks of life.
- Affirmation: Making a podcast for women means affirming the value of women’s lives. That spirit should permeate the entirety of the podcast.
Types of Podcasts for Women
Several podcasts might allow for women and women’s issues, from the hilarious to the inspirational.
- Interesting Podcasts for Women: Hosts might discuss political issues, compelling life experiences, or unique personal circumstances.
- Funny Podcasts for Women: Women’s comedy podcasts do not need to be about women’s issues. The critical thing is that they should center women’s experiences with a humorous touch.
- Motivational Podcasts for Women: These podcasts take inspiration from the fact that women often feel discouraged in their personal, professional, and spiritual lives. These podcasts might include lifestyle tips, encouragement, and guidance for navigating the highs and lows of life.
Best Podcasts for Women: 15 Examples
Now that we have covered the basics of different women’s podcasts, we can dive into fifteen exemplary podcasts that touch on women’s issues.
How Many Podcasts for Women Are There?
This is almost impossible to answer.
With that said, we did some research and found some interesting information about the process of listening to a podcast for women.
About 27% of top-rated podcasts feature female hosts.
Almost 70% of women stated they prefer podcasts focused on female issues.
And we listened to them!
There are too many of them to count–but fear not, for we have compiled fifteen of the best podcasts for women on different platforms to listen on.
Interesting Podcasts for Women
First, we have a suite of interesting podcasts by and for women.
These podcasts can help stimulate your mind, body, and soul, with content ranging from politics to personal experiences.
The first podcast on our list is Archetypes, hosted by Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex.
On Archetypes, Meghan joins celebrity guests from Issa Rae to Jenny Slate to unpack stereotypes and labels in women’s lives.
2. Stuff You Missed in History Cast
Stuff You Missed in History Cast, as its name suggests, covers several historical topics that slip below the cultural radar.
It includes the lives of professional boxers and the origin of penicillin to the history of Ouija boards. Hosts Holly Frey and Tracy B.
Wilson are experts at unpacking historical quirks and complexities.
This makes for an excellent women-led listening experience.
3. I Weigh
Jameela Jamil’s I Weigh is one of the most stimulating podcasts on our list.
Jamil’s extensive experience in the entertainment industry gives her a plethora of connections.
She spins these ideas into fantastic conversations on the show. Highlights include Jamil’s conversations with Zachary Levi, Elizabeth Banks, and Natalie Wynn.
Hoodrat to Headwrap
Hoodrat to Headwrap: A Decolonized Podcast is hosted by Ericka Hart and their partner, Ebony Donnley.
Hart is a queer and nonbinary cancer survivor and was inspired to create the podcast during their radiation treatment.
On the podcast, Hart and Donnley unpack racism, misogyny, homophobia, and more, all in an affirming and interesting package.
5. What I Wore When
This podcast, hosted by Glamour magazine’s Perrie Samotin, interviews influential women to explore their personal histories by way of their clothes.
It invites them to share about the outfits they were wearing at meaningful moments in their lives.
Noteworthy guests include Zoey Deutch, Natasha Beddingfield, and fellow list-maker Jameela Jamil.
Funny Podcasts for Women
Next up on our list, we’ll tackle five of the best comedy podcasts for women.
These shows bring a feminine flair to the audio world, all while getting our sides splitting.
One of the most fascinating industries in the world markets to women–the wellness industry.
Poog, hosted by the incomparable Kate Berlant and the jocular Jacqueline Novak, is about this industry.
It takes a deep dive into this strange world, exploring the absurdity of the wellness industry with a major dose of humor.
7. Call Her Daddy
In 2021, Alexandra Cooper’s Call Her Daddy became the second most widely-listened-to podcast on Spotify.
In 2022, it has taken the number-one spot.
The podcast, which revolves around hilarious advice-giving, is an incredible time.
Recent episodes take on concepts including the male gaze, social anxiety, and self-sabotage.
8. Why Won’t You Date Me
Hosted by LGBT+ actress Nicole Byer, Why Don’t You Date me is one of the absolute best comedy podcasts on the internet.
With its bawdy sense of humor, this is a podcast you should take the time to enjoy.
You’ll be laughing so hard that it will be challenging to do anything else!
9. Queers Gone By
Any member of the LGBT+ community can identify anecdotes that could predict their coming out.
In this podcast, Caitlin Powell and Kate Butch tackle this very topic.
They examine media and childhood experiences to humorously investigate the origin of their explosive queerness.
10. 2 Dope Queens
Last but certainly not least, we have Phoebe Robinson and Jessica Williams’ 2 Dope Queens.
The podcast, which was hosted live in Brooklyn every week, has ended.
However, it remains an excellent look into romance, race, and women’s life in New York City.
Motivational Podcasts for Women
The final category on our list is motivational podcasts.
These are the podcasts that can perform a kind of spiritual alchemy, transmuting the tough stuff in life into material for pure inspiration.
11. Brown Girl Self-Care
With over one million downloads, Brown Girl Self-Care is one of the most popular podcasts for supporting women of color.
It aims to help them with the challenges and complexities of their lives.
Its stated aim is to root black women’s experience in humanity and kindness in a world that persistently denies those things to them.
12. Super Soul
The second motivational podcast on our list is Super Soul, hosted by media superstar Oprah Winfrey.
Oprah’s podcast continues the strategy of her long-running daytime television show, highlighting the beauties of everyday life.
However, the podcast brings a special spiritual twist.
With guests versed in spirituality and everyday mysticism, Super Soul offers an auditory glimpse into the life of the soul.
13. Unlocking Us
Unlocking Us, which is hosted by Brené Brown, delves into everything human.
Brown has spoken with thinkers and public speakers from actress Viola Davis to Catholic mystic Richard Rohr.
14. Women in Tech
If you want a more concrete podcast, you should turn to Woman in Tech, hosted by Espree Devora.
Devora’s podcast recognizes that women are often marginalized in the fields of science and technology.
She seeks to support listeners in gaining confidence in their technological work.
15. The Laura Flanders Show
Last on our list of exemplary women-led podcasts is The Laura Flanders Show.
Taking a more political focus, this program sees political thinker Laura Flanders interview various experts in progressive politics to analyze concrete strategies for success.
For anyone with a love for justice, we can’t recommend this highly enough.
Similar Podcasts Types to Check Out
If you enjoy podcasts for women but want to cut your teeth on some other podcast types, do not worry–there are plenty of options out there for you.
Here are three potential choices:
- Christian Podcasts for Women: Everybody needs guidance, even if you’re not a religious woman, you may share some of the values of Christians. And spirituality too, of course.
- Parenting Podcasts: For those who want to dive into a more specific area of women’s lives, it is always a good idea to check out a podcast on parenting, which can tackle the complexities and joys of raising children.
- Motivational Podcasts: If you cannot get enough inspirational podcasts, try out some positive podcasts, which can give you an IV-drip of pure joie de vivre.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any lingering questions about podcasts for women, check out the questions below to get your confusion cleared up.
What types of podcasts do women listen to?
Women listen to many podcasts, ranging from comedy and spirituality to motivation and health.
There are as many different podcast preferences as there are women!
Who is the top female podcaster?
While there is no clear-cut winner, Brene Brown has one of the most streamed podcasts on Spotify. Unlocking Us.
The world of women’s podcasts is complicated, but with this breakdown and list of podcasts at your disposal, you should be ready for anything. Who knows–maybe you’ll be the next superstar podcaster!