Whether you are looking for answers to some of life’s questions, need something wholesome to listen to on your commute to work, or need a spiritual pick-me-up during your day, there are a host of Catholic podcasts to choose from.
Whether you practice Catholicism or not, there may be some value to find in these shows by people of all faiths and beliefs.
Podcasts that focus on religious topics are among the most downloaded. Catholic podcasts are popular because they appeal to so many people from all walks of life.
Some people listen to get more information about their faith, while others find solace in the advice given by religious experts. There are Catholic podcasts that appeal to many different kinds of people.
- The Best Catholic Podcasts (Examples)
- What Is a Catholic Podcast?
- What Is Included on a Catholic Podcast?
- Types of Catholic Podcasts
- Best Catholic Podcasts: 15 Examples
- Similar Podcast Types to Check Out
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
The Best Catholic Podcasts (Examples)
We’ve included an overview of our top picks below. For detailed information on each pick, scroll down.
Catholic Theology Podcasts
Catholic Bible Podcasts
Catholic Apologetics Podcasts
What Is a Catholic Podcast?
A Catholic podcast is typically hosted by an expert in the faith. These could be theologians, priests, nuns, or experts on doctrine.
They could have a vast field of knowledge, or they could be church members who like to share their faith with people to help them find peace in their lives.
What Does a Catholic Podcaster Talk About?
Topics that are covered by a Catholic podcast could be matters of faith, spiritual guidance, and reflections on life from a religious point of view.
They may also discuss news and updates that deal with the church or play seminars and sermons taught by church leaders. Catholic podcasts are often produced by Catholic organizations or by parishes in the church.
What Is Included on a Catholic Podcast?
Catholic podcasts are similar to Christian blogs and other religious media in that they talk about issues their listeners face.
They give advice based on scripture and the beliefs of their faith. Since Catholics come from various backgrounds, shows like this help give a uniform look at the issues people live with today.
Other Things You Can Find on a Catholic Podcast
Besides inspiration for living in today’s world, there are many other things that you can find when you listen to a Catholic podcast.
- Lighthearted Discussions: Many Catholic podcasters take a casual approach to their shows. They do not want to come across as preachy, so they have casual discussions about the last word coming from the Vatican and what it could mean for how they practice their faith.
- Scholarly Debates: Other podcasters may choose to have guests that represent opposing viewpoints. They have a spirited and respectful debate on the issues to help answer some difficult questions.
- Introduction to Materials: Many people who study religion rely on more than the scriptures. Many of these podcasts will introduce a variety of books and other media that their audience may find informative. They will often bring the authors to their program to discuss them and answer questions.
Types of Catholic Podcasts
As with any other subject, there are different types of Catholic podcasts. You may want to listen to an in-depth discussion of the base beliefs of the church or a study of the Bible from theologians or church leaders.
- Catholic Theology Podcasts: Catholic theology is the understanding of the basic beliefs of the church. The doctrine is built on these beliefs. There can be many interpretations and opinions on the meaning of scripture, but the theology that forms the belief of all Catholics remains the same.
- Catholic Bible Podcasts: A Bible study podcast takes a look at passages from scripture and analyzes them. The hosts will talk about what the words meant from a theological and a historical perspective. They will also discuss how the message affects lives in the present.
- Catholic Apologetics Podcasts: If you have found yourself searching for the right thing to say in defense of the Catholic church or your faith, apologetics podcasts can give you the tools you need to strengthen your stance. Catholic apologetics is the defense of the faith. They help you develop an understanding of the Gospel so you can have reasonable, intellectual discussions about it.
Best Catholic Podcasts: 15 Examples
If you are looking for podcasts that discuss any of those topics, here are some of the best shows about Catholicism and the Catholic church.
How Many Catholic Podcasts Are There?
There are hundreds of podcasts dealing with the Catholic faith. Many are made by amateurs who enjoy offering their opinions, while others are more official and hosted by churches and organizations.
Catholic Theology Podcasts
The most popular of these are podcasts that talk about Catholic theology. Here are a few of the top downloaded programs on theology.
Sed Contra: A Podcast of Catholic Theology
The Sacra Doctrina Project is working toward the preservation of the sacred doctrine of the Catholic church. Some of the founding members of this project are the hosts of the “Sed Contra” podcast. Discussion of theological questions with academic theologians and philosophers happens with a lively debate being encouraged.
Catholic Answers Live
You live in a modern world, so you don’t want to spend time listening to a stuffy podcast hosted by grumpy old men. Zac and Sally are young and interested in bringing you theology with the right amount of pop culture. How do the tenants of the faith work in the modern world? “Creedle” will attempt to give you some answers.
Ask Christopher West
Christopher West has been spreading the teachings of John Paul II. He discusses the Theology of the Body along with his wife, Wendy. They answer questions dealing with life, love, sexuality, marriage, and Catholic Living.
Reason and Theology
The round table discussion on this program deals with many topics, including history, theology, and philosophy. The hosts are from different backgrounds and often have many opposing points of view. Listen as they break down the topics and have spirited debates about many topics.
The Cordial Catholic
“The Cordial Catholic” is a podcast for people who did not grow up in the church. They could be new to Catholicism or belong to a different faith. With this program, you will get a deep dive into the basic structure of the church, brought to you by K. Albert Little, a Catholic convert who has a background in non-denominational Christianity.
Catholic Bible Podcasts
Understanding the Bible can be a difficult task. The messages written on its pages are helpful in our lives. Scholars and church leaders break down the scriptures and discuss how they affect your life.
The Bible in a Year
Father Mike Schmitz takes you through a Bible reading plan designed to help you understand salvation and give you confidence in your knowledge of the scripture. In 365 episodes he will walk you through the Bible in one year. You’ll read the passages and hear his commentary and prayers based on them.
Catholic Sunday Mass Readings Bible Study
The best part of attending Sunday mass is hearing the sermon, but you get a better understanding of the message by further studying the readings. The Franciscan Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother of Nebraska City gather on this podcast to talk about the meaning of the reading for each week’s sermon. You’ll hear the deeper meaning and have a better understanding of those readings if you choose to tune in to the sermon on Sunday.
Sharing Truth with Sharon Doran
Sharon Doran wants to help motivate you to immerse yourself in the scripture. The message can apply to every aspect of your life, and this in-depth study can help you understand it. This series was commissioned by the Archdiocese of Omaha and dives deep into the synoptic gospels.
A Walk in the Word
Hector Molina is an international Catholic evangelist and bible teacher. In this podcast, he looks at the mass readings from each Sunday’s sermon and seeks to go deeper into their meaning and how they affect us. Join him as he talks about salvation, the story of the virgin Mary, and lessons about Bible characters like John the Baptist.
The Understanding the Scriptures Podcast
Reading the words of the Bible is not enough. There is a much deeper understanding that comes with knowing context, history, and prayer. This podcast will help you feel confident that you know the meaning behind the scriptures you read in the Bible.
Catholic Apologetics Podcasts
Defending what you believe in can be a daunting task. You want to feel like you know what you’re talking about before starting a discussion or debate about your faith. These podcasts will help you to argue in favor of Catholic doctrine and tradition.
Catholic Answers Live
This is a daily radio program that listeners can call in to with their questions about evangelism and apologetics. It will help you explain and defend your faith by answering questions that listeners like you have live on the air.
Gary Michuta is an expert in Catholic Apologetics that can help you better understand your faith. In each episode, he brings on a guest that answers your questions about Catholicism and better equip you with the tools you’ll need to discuss the Catholic faith.
Michael Paul’s Catholic Apologetics Podcast
Have you ever been asked tough questions about your faith? Have people asked you why bad things happen to good people or why God isn’t fair? You may feel comfortable taking on those topics, but if you are not prepared you can quickly lose your footing in a discussion. Michael Paul gives you the insights and prepares you for a discussion you won’t feel the need to run away from.
Church Dads Podcast
Sometimes the only one that can make us see something is some advice from dear old dad. This podcast approaches Catholicism and faith from the perspective of dads who are trying to raise a family in today’s world.
Dr. R.R. Reno is a professor, scholar, and writer who is an expert on religion and the Catholic church. In this podcast, you will hear commentary, seminars, and sermons that break down arguments apologists use to get their message out to the world.
Similar Podcast Types to Check Out
If you enjoy the thought-provoking and enlightening words these shows bring you, then you should find some other podcasts on other topics from your favorite podcatcher.
- Christian Podcasts: Catholicism is just one branch of Christianity many people of faith belong to. If you are Baptist, Pentecostal, or Methodist, you may be interested in listening to one of these Christian Podcasts.
- Christian Podcasts for Women: Women have had a role in religion over time. Throughout the Bible are the stories of strong women who shaped the faith as we know it. These Christian podcasts for women will help you understand the importance of the role they serve in the church.
- Positive Podcasts: If you are not religious, or you are unsure, many positive podcasts can give you the same boost and inspiration without making it about your faith in God.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the questions that are asked most often when discussing Catholic podcasts.
What is the #1 Catholic podcast?
Catholic Answers Focus is the most popular podcast on Catholic apologetics. It helps you to defend your faith and gives you a deeper understanding of the teachings of the church.
What are the 3 main Catholic beliefs?
There are 3 things that the Catholic faith is built on: 1) God is the creator of everything we can and cannot see, 2) Jesus Christ is the son of God and was crucified for our sins, and 3) The Holy Spirit is the giver of life and speaks through the prophets.
If you need some inspiration in your life or if you are looking for a deeper meaning to life than just going to work and going home, there are many messages from the Catholic faith that may help. Many branches of the church and believers in the faith have started podcasts to help spread the word and bring peace where they can.
You can find all of these podcasts on many of the most popular podcatchers to help you keep your faith strong and make you more confident in your understanding of the Bible.